Root Beer Carbonation "control"???

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Caretaker

Root Beer Carbonation "control"???

Post by Caretaker »

Good afternoon all, I have been experimenting with some root beer recipes and am close to one I think I like; however, the plastic bottles seem to be so carbonated that I lose half a bottle after opening due to foaming over or even caps exploding. Is there a way to control this consistently? I have been using a champagne and white ale yeast but there is a very small amount going I the batch before we go to bottles, about 1/8 tsp. I have been using plastic bottles and am a bit fearful going to glass until I can get the mix just right.
Any advise and direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great weekend.
CHEERS!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Root Beer Carbonation "control"???

Post by RickBeer »

You need special caps. And it's important to refrigerate them at the right time.

https://www.mrbeer.com/media/pdf/MB14-R ... ctions.pdf

4.2) You should now have 4 bottles of flat root beer. To finish store your bottles upright in a dark location with a consistent temperature between 68° and 84° F.

This step should take 1-3 days, if the temperature remains constant.

4.3) Check your bottles once a day. When the bottles become firm to the touch, refrigerate your root beer. When your root beer is cold it's ready to drink. For best results, refrigerate at least 1 full day before drinking.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Caretaker

Re: Root Beer Carbonation "control"???

Post by Caretaker »

THANKS for the reply Mr. Beer - - that was FAST!!!

So, I think I waited too long to get bottles into the fridge then. After 1 day bottles were still soft but became very hard (one small bottle popped its top, lol) on the second day. So somewhere in the middle I need to check and, at that point, I can move RB to the fridge and carbonation will cease then? Sorry for the extra questions but really hate to have the mess I had on the kitchen counter move in to the fridge, lol, might not score points with the wifey. Oh, RB from the plastic bottle to a glass bottle with ceramic top for serving or will I lose all my fizz?

I have a recipe using roots and berries, spices, sugar and water (but having to cheat now with some root beer extract until the sassafrass arrives). Even made a spiked one adding Captain Morgan Spiced Rum and some Vodka which turned out pretty nice...just not as fizzy...

Thanks again for the assist my friend and have a terrific weekend!
CHEERS!!!
Dean