My first cider--questions

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: My first cider--questions

Post by berryman »

Kealia wrote: I've never made wine but can't you add campden tablets to kill the yeast and then sweeten with sugar?
Not sure on that but can tell you Potassium Sorbate will stop it. can add honey or sugar as needed but hard to not over do, a little goes a long ways. I think what BPgreen has in mind will work. back sweeten and not let it ferment. If it warms up might be a different story and a different wine.
Edit: I think campden tabs are about the same as potassium metabisulfite that I use if making wine from whole fruit. It doesn't stop fermentation but will limit wild yeast until the stuff you put in there takes over. I don't use it when making wine like this with boughten juice. Just when smashed the fruit up for a must before carboy and yeast.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I kegged this earlier tonight and am trying it now. I'm not sure what a cider is supposed to be, but I think I like this.

It's not fully carbed, but I think that's ok with a cider.

It fermented down to 1.000, but I think that's expected with a cider.

I thibkk this is going to be a regular in my rotation.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

I've my tried and true Nong Cider. 3 gallons apple juice (no additives), 2 lbs table sugar,2 lbs Golden Brown sugar, 1/2 lbs lactose, (apple pie or pumpkin pie spice is optional), and wine yeast. Works every time I try it.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Yankeedag wrote:I've my tried and true Nong Cider. 3 gallons apple juice (no additives), 2 lbs table sugar,2 lbs Golden Brown sugar, 1/2 lbs lactose, (apple pie or pumpkin pie spice is optional), and wine yeast. Works every time I try it.
I've used this recipe for a few years, it rocks! When I want to see bubbles, I sub out for some champagne yeast. I have 5 gallons of it keg'd, should be ready for turkey-day. A version of this is what I'm using to make a honey cider, also conditioning (no spices/brown sugga)
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!