Brewing on the road

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Brewing on the road

Post by FrozenInTime »

Has anyone brewed while moving down the road? We are becoming snowbirds very soon and I'd like to brew on the road. We will be traveling different states probably staying from week to a month, maybe more at different locations/campgrounds. If I brewed up a batch, I know I would stay put for at-least a month, would hate to bounce around a carboy, oxygenate a batch and have a band-aid tasting beer.. LOL Is it possible, or would I run into anal state laws about home-brewing? I generally make 3 gallon batches so I won't be going big-time brewing, just enough to keep myself happy(?) LOL What I wonder about is will each state say I can't legally do it because I'm not a legal resident of *their* state? Are there states it is still not legal to home-brew? If I run into these backwards states, would I get in trouble for just having brought a couple kegs of beer I made at home? The thought of having to buy commercial swill turns my stomach green, just cant do it. I'd rather become sober... oh gawd, I did not say that.....
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Brewing on the road

Post by The_Professor »

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I don't think you'd have to stay a month, I believe that once the beer starts fermenting aggressively, the oxygen is pushed out.
I have a batch fermenting in a ferm fridge right now. It appears that some bugs found their way into the fridge, probably attracted by the heavenly aroma. I found their tiny corpses in the bottom and deduced that CO2 was the murder weapon.
So it was Captain John, in the basement, with an Ale Pail.
You could also pitch more yeast and finish faster.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I wonder if you could build/buy some sort of gimbal for the fermenter to prevent too much bouncing around?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

The beer is going to slosh around. I would not ferment under those conditions as you suggest you would not either.

As far as transporting, keep in mind that anything tapped is open. It is illegal to drive with open containers of beer in most states. If you were pulled over, and they searched the vehicle, and they found a tapped keg, would a hardass say you had an open container of beer? This is why responsible breweries/bars seal growlers with plastic or tape. If you tow a trailer and the beer is in there, no issue. If you drive a motorhome, I would be concerned.

Some states do prohibit bringing alcohol into the state. I would read the state(s) laws for each state I was going into.

Note that going into Canada there are limits also.

Lastly, keep your mouth closed. Don't tell fellow campers, don't offer them your Homebrew.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

This is an interesting question and has been pointed out there may be some legal implications however as long as you aren't being blatantly stupid about it you shouldn't have any issues. As of July 2013 homebrewing is legal in all 50 states.

I don't know what type of rig you have as far as a tow trailer or an RV but if you bottle your beer you don't have to worry about "Open alcohol". If you keg your beer and don't have a tap on it you shouldn't have any issues with transporting it and as long as it's for personal use and your not distributing it.

Several things I've read about people that choose a nomadic lifestyle (sailing, cruising, RVing) and brew while on the road indicate that they have rigged up some type of gimbal to help reduce agitation and sloshing while moving but once fermentation starts and you have a blanket of CO2 in the fermenter you shouldn't have any issue with oxygenation. The big issue from what I've read is with temperature control and most people use some type of swamp cooler or a mini fridge and strategic planning to make sure the temp stays consistent.

Another thing that I've read is regarding water. Water can be very different depending on where you end up so several brewers will seek out stores at their destinations that have RO or some type of filtered water to brew with.

Congrats on your snowbird status and safe travels on your grand adventure. :cheers:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

For now, We'll be in a 5th wheel. We've been talking about either a 5th wheel toy hauler or a class A motorhome. Chances are it will be the toy-hauler. I could take my motobike along and set up a brewing station in the back. This would make hauling an open container mute I believe as it is in the back, un-accesable by anyone in the truck. Not telling other campers, not a problem. I have found when staying at a campground, most people stay to themselves or others they travel with and I'm not overly friendly to others, not un-friendly, we usually stay to ourselves so not a problem for us. Don't get me wrong, I am chatty when someone is friendly, I just don't offer my life story or offer to share beer/wine/booze, etc until I get to know someone for a couple years. Setting up some type of gimbals, I'll be the first to admit, I'm probably not smart enough to engineer something that complicated. Part of the reason I picked up the Grainfather was to cut done on the amount of equipment I would have to drag along. It sounds like it is doable but I think I would have to study up on the laws of the states before we cross *their* lines. <-- that I have a big problem with. Warning-warning-rant coming... During my 20 years in the military, I put my life on the line more than once for my country. Magic word, COUNTRY! I did not say, anywhere I am only representing Indiana, but all 50 states. I AM a resident of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA, NOT just freaking Norf Dakoota. I am a resident of ALL 50 states as far as I am concerned. This *your not a resident of OUR state just pisses me off!!* All those that did lose their life, they did not give the ultimate sacrifice for just THEIR state, but for all states. Sorry for the rant but really, that BS is ridiculous. We are ALL brothers and sisters in the human race, and we are ALL residents of the USA. Again, sorry, I need another cup of coffee.
Attachments
RV.JPG
RV.JPG (138.8 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

FIT, I know you weren't looking for it, but I'll say it anyway - Thank you for your service.

I agree that some state laws are ridiculous and if it were me, I'd brew when I could and take it where I wanted.

Congrats on reaching a point in your life that you can travel as you like.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

FrozenInTime wrote:For now, We'll be in a 5th wheel. We've been talking about either a 5th wheel toy hauler or a class A motorhome. Chances are it will be the toy-hauler. I could take my motobike along and set up a brewing station in the back. This would make hauling an open container mute I believe as it is in the back, un-accesable by anyone in the truck. Not telling other campers, not a problem. I have found when staying at a campground, most people stay to themselves or others they travel with and I'm not overly friendly to others, not un-friendly, we usually stay to ourselves so not a problem for us. Don't get me wrong, I am chatty when someone is friendly, I just don't offer my life story or offer to share beer/wine/booze, etc until I get to know someone for a couple years. Setting up some type of gimbals, I'll be the first to admit, I'm probably not smart enough to engineer something that complicated. Part of the reason I picked up the Grainfather was to cut done on the amount of equipment I would have to drag along. It sounds like it is doable but I think I would have to study up on the laws of the states before we cross *their* lines. <-- that I have a big problem with. Warning-warning-rant coming... During my 20 years in the military, I put my life on the line more than once for my country. Magic word, COUNTRY! I did not say, anywhere I am only representing Indiana, but all 50 states. I AM a resident of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA, NOT just freaking Norf Dakoota. I am a resident of ALL 50 states as far as I am concerned. This *your not a resident of OUR state just pisses me off!!* All those that did lose their life, they did not give the ultimate sacrifice for just THEIR state, but for all states. Sorry for the rant but really, that BS is ridiculous. We are ALL brothers and sisters in the human race, and we are ALL residents of the USA. Again, sorry, I need another cup of coffee.
RDWHAHB! :beer: :flag:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Thank-you!
I probably should worry more about the guns I will have with me. Most I think will be ok as long as I keep them unloaded and ammo stored separately, I think I will be fine. Only 2 or 3 states would give me grief for carrying pistols. Yea, I know, don't try to cross into Mexico or Canada, my guns would land me in jail.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

If you have a CHL (concealed handgun license) check the states you will be traveling into for reciprocity. I use USA Carry. Click on your state and it will show you what states honor and don't honor your license. You would be surprised how many states probably honor your license. Then the trick is to find out what their laws are if you get pulled over. Some states, like Ohio, have a duty to inform law. In other words, if I get pulled over, I need to immediately inform the officer that I have a CHL and that I am carrying. It's the firs thing out of my mouth, even before I say "hello sir". Other states only require you to inform the officer if he/she asks if you have any weapons.

If it were me, and I had all my brewing equipment in the trailer, I wouldn't think twice about crossing state lines. I would go where the open road takes me. Getting caught with an actively fermenting beer would be the least of my worries. Unless you plan on pulling that thing at 90 miles per hour everywhere. I bet you're going to be traveling safe, which means there is going to be no reason for law enforcement to even have contact with you. It's not like your first stop when you cross into each state is the highway patrol office so you can let them know you're there and you have a little science experiment going on!!!

And...if you're travels every take you through the Columbus, Ohio area, drop me a line! I'll buy you a beer!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FIT is going Breaking Bad LOL... My favorite TV series. Walt and Jessie made meth in a motorhome and BIL Hank a DEA agent brewed beer in his garage.... I don't really see a problem doing what you have planned other then it would be nice to get the fermentation done before you moved on. Good Luck and sounds fun. DP
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

This won't help with fermentation, but maybe while you are driving!

Kidding, of course. I know you wouldn't drink and drive. But a quick Google search turned this up. :D
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That's a hoot!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Cool toy! I wonder now, if I picked up the dome and tried a little shine making on the road? Would I become a moonshine camper? LOL All I need to make this happen is for my better half to retire. 3 more months.... man... time is going to crawl....