Dunkel Recipe Anyone?

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Dunkel Recipe Anyone?

Post by mashani »

BlackDuck wrote:I was thinking a little mix of the 10 and 20. Maybe 75% of the 10 and 25% of the 20.
That would likely turn out great. You for sure want more 10 because it likely has more enzyme potential. Although the pilsner will help there especially if it's modern stuff. The 10 should be able to self convert, the pilsner should help it get done in 60 minutes... but with a lot of the 20 there might be a harder time with it.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I guess I should update this one. So the recipe I went with is:
7.25 lbs Dark Munich (15L)
3 lbs Pilsner
4 oz Melanoiden
6 oz Chocolate Malt
1.25 oz Tettnang @ 60 mins
.50 oz Tettnang @ 5 mins
I was planning on using 34/70 for the yeast, but the LHBS was out, so I grabbed two packages of White Labs WLP838 Southern German Lager yeast in their Pure Pitch packaging.

I brewed on 9/7/19. OG was supposed to be 1.050 and I came in at 1.048. My water volume may have been a touch high, but no biggie really. I pitched the yeast according to the directions, which is pitch at 70 then lower temp to fermentation temps over the next 15 hours.
5 days in (9/12) and the fermentation just seemed to be going really slow, I had the temp set at 52, which is right in the middle of the yeasts ideal fermentation temp. I took a gravity reading and it was only at 1.030. Feeling that I may have under pitched a bit, I raised the temp 5 degrees to 57 to see if that would help. And it did. Two days later I was at 1.017, and a day after that I was at 1.014. Last night (9/17) I was at 1.013. So I started the temp reduction. I'll drop it 4 degrees per day until I reach 35 and hold there for a couple days to crash before kegging.

It's the first time I've used any White Labs in the Pure Pitch packaging. I'm pretty positive that I under pitched. But, after tasting the sample last night, I'm getting no off flavors, so I may have gotten lucky. It's a nice, malty flavor with a touch of roast to it. This is my type of dark beer. I think I'll enjoy this over the winter.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

2 packs for a 1.048 lager? I don't think you under pitched at all unless the yeast was past it's use date. I'm not familiar with that yeast but I'm betting you'll be pleased with the outcome.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

According to BeerSmith, I should have pitched 3 packs without making a starter. But the store only had 2 packs. No sense in splitting hairs at this point right. What's done is done. I think you're right though, I should be pleased with the outcome.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck