First ESB

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

First ESB

Post by MadBrewer »

Brewed this up lastnight. Added 1 oz of crushed Carafa Special II to the mashout and recirculated 15 min. I wanted a little Amber to the beer and a subtle roast is fine with me but there should be very little added to the finished beer. Might just be there to compliment the other malts. First time using Omega British VIII which is their English 002/1968. Had a friend over and enjoyed some company. Looking forward to this one for the cooler weather of fall, should be ready fairly quick.

1.060 OG, ~40 IBU, ~12 SRM

80% Maris Offer
8% Munich
8% Crystal 40
2.5% Aromatic
2.5% Special Roast

Challenger 1 oz 60 min.
EKG 1 oz 10 min.
Celia 1 oz 0 min.

Step mash 150* 45, 162* 15, 172* 15 min
Brew Strong My Friends...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: First ESB

Post by John Sand »

Looks good, keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I recently used and really like the Special Roast malt, it added some nice toasty marshmallow flavors to my dubbel which was I think the best dubbel I ever made (and woe, it is gone). And you can't go wrong with a mix of EKG and Styrian Goldings of any sort (or Fuggles).
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I didn't care for this one so much, just seemed lacking in flavor both malt and hops for an ESB. This is a grain bill I use for an Ordinary Bitter and I think the malt really shines in a small beer like that. It just didn't scale up as well for this beer. Didn't find the Omega yeast too special either. I ended up keg hopping it with some Mosaic and flipped this beer to more of an American Amber....had some company over the course of the holidays that drank it up and loved it so it was still a win.
Brew Strong My Friends...