#116: English IPA

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

#116: English IPA

Post by swenocha »

Finally putting the new black friday purchase through its paces. Working thru ingredients on hand, so a pretty basic recipe. No real issues with the new equipment. Some learning curve, but it worked like a champ. Some changes to process learned for next time, but nothing went south this time...

8.75 lb 2-row
1.75 lb munich
1.0 lb red wheat
0.5 lb vienna

1.0 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
0.5 oz Magnum 60 min
1.0 oz Northern Brewer 30 min
0.5 oz Cascade 20 min
1.0 oz Perle (whole leaf) 5 min

Danstar London ESB yeast

Mash 152 for 90 min
Mash out 168 for 10 min

Actual og: 1.070
Actual fg: 1.025
Est abv: 6%
Ibu: 79.5
Srm: 6.2

Ferment at 62

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Last edited by swenocha on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: American Strong Ale

Post by berryman »

What yeast you use on this one?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: #116: English IPA

Post by swenocha »

Danstar London ESB dry yeast. Had one on hand nearing expiration from a brewday I was going to do when my old equipment bit the dust. Probably would have used something else on this (kolsch or us05), but it was I had on hand...
Last edited by swenocha on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: #116: American Strong Ale

Post by mashani »

swenocha wrote:Danstar London ESB dry yeast. Had one on hand nearing expiration from a brewday I was going to do when my old equipment bit the dust. Probably would have used something else on this (kolsch or us05), but it was I had on hand...
I like that yeast. If you intended to make a chewy beer then that's probably going to be good. But if not, you probably should have mashed 148 with that yeast. At 152 it's going to end up like you mashed at 156+ with a "normal" yeast. As in it probably won't make it to your estimated FG.

That yeast doesn't eat all the kinds of malt sugars, it's really meant for an authentic old school British Beer / ESB where caramelized sugars would be used for some of the OG.

Anyways, if it doesn't hit your estimated FG, that's why... if not using sugar, I'd suggest to mash at a full "body level" down from where you normally would with that yeast. If you look at all of the "bad reviews" of that yeast, this is what everyone is complaining about, because they didn't RTFM... The yeast is great from a flavor perspective, it's just got a more specific use case as such.

In my house, that yeast is great if I want my Brett C to get into it. It leaves lots of stuff around for the Brett C to eat.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Good call. I'm good with chewy. It was a last minute call on the yeast selection, so I didn't account for the mash temp based on the yeast (or I would likely have considered a lower temp, as this temp is a bit high for my normal anyway). As this is a kitchen sink beer, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

What I do know is that the yeast went cray-cray yesterday, blowing the lid off of the bucket (which had a lot of headspace). Had a nice growing krausen bursting out the top. Dropped the temp from 62 to 57, star-san, and re-close, and things are bubbling away at a nice clip. #RDWHAHB
Last edited by swenocha on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

This finished up nice. Finally kegged today since i was out of co2 over the break. Didn't finish at as low a FG as estimated, but a nice 6% english ipa vibe.
EnglishIPA.jpg
EnglishIPA.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 3817 times

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

swenocha wrote:This finished up nice. Finally kegged today since i was out of co2 over the break. Didn't finish at as low a FG as estimated, but a nice 6% english ipa vibe.
EnglishIPA.jpg
Any further update on this one? How did the dry ESB yeast do? How did it clear up? Esters, mouthfeel? I am looking to use this one next time for an English Style TBD.
Brew Strong My Friends...
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

the dry ESB yeast did quite nicely. Lower attenuation as noted, and the beer didn't really clear to any degree. Malty, thickish mouthfeel, good balanced hops. Not a lot of fruity esters or anything of note, but maybe that's masked by the hops/malt.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking: