Same grain, varied results

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Same grain, varied results

Post by berryman »

I have been brewing a Redx base beer that I really like and have it for a house beer on tap. I can't find redx locally and was getting it from Farmhouse and good results, I bought a 55 lb sack from another place and my numbers have dropped significantly with the same recipe, also the color isn't as bright red. Yea, still has that redx malt taste and smell, but just wondering what can cause that much difference on the same grain.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Same grain, varied results

Post by mashani »

The Red X that I've gotten from the popular independent place that is not FarmHouse or MoreBeer (MoreBeer doesn't even carry it) has always turned out more brown then red for me, and also not had great efficiency. I blamed it on their crush, which isn't as good or consistent as MoreBeer. But since you bought 55# of it, I assume you are milling it yourself, so that's probably not it.

My impression is its a relatively complex process to get it to have the color desired but preserve the enzymes. Maybe some batches just don't work out so hot. Dunno?

Viking malts makes a red malt now. It is also a full base malt like Red X with high enzymatic power. I read something about the process, somehow they actually cure the malt at boiling temperatures but the enzymes don't get destroyed. I don't understand how that actually works but it would seem that "things might go wrong" quickly if not careful.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

This is still quite red but I don’t think the color I had on other batches from a different suppler. First 3 times I made it was 1.054, 1.054 and 1.053. Switched to this new bag and 1.048 and 1.046 same process used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That’s a nice color, but I hate that white crap in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck