First time brewer

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Norman__Snorz

First time brewer

Post by Norman__Snorz »

Greetings to all!! This is my first time brewing with a Brewdemon (1 gallon fermentor). I guess this will be a silly question but here goes.....I followed the brewing directions to a T, but when I added my yeast to the mix, it all sank to the bottom. The temp was around 68 degrees when I added the yeast. It has been almost 48 hours and i see no activity and the yeast is still sitting at the bottom. Is there a concern? Should I hold out and wait to see what happens and hope for the best? Any suggestions would be welcomed.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: First time brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Welcome.

What you're probably seeing isn't yeast. The amount of yeast you add wouldn't really be noticeable on the bottom. You're probably looking at something called trub (pronounced troob). It's a waste byproduct of the fermentation process and it's a sign that even though you didn't see anything happening, you still had fermentation.
Norman__Snorz

Post by Norman__Snorz »

Thanx so much! Much like a new parent, i get excited about the smallest things lol. I will wait and see what happens and proceed as required.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Hello Norman, I think bpgreen gave you a good explanation. wait 2-3 weeks bottle it wait another couple weeks to carb and enjoy I know it sounds like a long time to wait but once you get a pipeline going, the wait isn't as bad.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Norman__Snorz

Post by Norman__Snorz »

thanks for the advice and encouragement guys!!!! it's all a learning experience and it's great to know that i have help with my new hobby. cheers to you guys!!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Hi Norman, welcome aboard!
It all seems challenging at first, and we all make mistakes. But we also make beer! Don't worry too much, you should see foam on top of your beer pretty soon. Keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

Hi Norman, I too started brewing on a BrewDemon, two years ago. I still buy their extracts when they are on sale, so I can toy around and add other ingredients like, jalapeno peppers, whiskey soaked oak chips, smoked grains, etc. The extract cans are still easy for me at this stage (not a full-blown all grain brewer yet) and they are hard to screw up. The yeasts are very forgiving and my unsophisticated palette lets me know I am drinking beer and that is good enough for me. I couldn't tell you the difference between an all grain wheat beer vs an extract wheat beer.

Ask all the questions you need and don't feel stupid. We're all learning from each other.
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
Norman__Snorz

Post by Norman__Snorz »

Just an update...After my initial post, i started seeing some activity and i think things are going well. At this point it has been 9 days in the fermentor, a question for you guys....at this point there is still a bit of scum on the top, but not much....I sampled a it from the tap and it tastes like flat beer, how long to wait for it to clear and can i wait to long? The instructions say 7 days, but with the delay in fermentation I know it will be a few extra days. I just don't want to wait to long if that is a possibility.
ClaudioDr

Post by ClaudioDr »

I heard that leaving it on the fermenter for 15 days is ok, I’m doing the same as you 1 gal, first batch, today is day 8, best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Unless "something else is already wrong", you can leave it 3 weeks and it will be fine. I've gone as far as 5 weeks once when I just couldn't get around to it and it was fine. Not something to stress about. It's always better to be leaving it a little bit later then it's done vs. bottling it before it's done.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I agree. I generally ferment three weeks.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I run 3 to 3.5 weeks, occasionally 4 and never a problem. Then I condition from 2 months, up to a year depending on the recipe/style. I have a couple cases going on 5 years, it's just mellowing to a nice beer.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I'm a little late to the game here but...

:bbwelc:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged