Easy Beginner Mead Recipe

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Easy Beginner Mead Recipe

Post by BlackDuck »

A guy I work with has a handful of hives that he and his daughter take care of. They are a 4 H project for his daughter. He has a ton of honey. So he asked if we could try making a mead. Of course I said yes.

But I don’t have a clue how to do it. I’m looking for an easy 1 gallon recipe and process. We thought we would just do a one gallon batch to begin with to learn the process a bit before jumping off the deep end. I would hate to waste a ton of his honey on something that didn’t come out right.

So, any help in recipe and process would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Easy Beginner Mead Recipe

Post by mashani »

This is the easiest thing ever. Note that you can't necessarily apply what he does here to other meads, and if making a big batch and wanting to turn it over quickly yeast nutrients are in order.

http://vikingsmashbrewing.com/joes-ancient-orange-mead/

If you want to learn more advanced stuff, IE how to use yeast nutrients to get it done quicker and cleaner, less aging required, etc. See this link, see the "mead making manual".

https://www.morebeer.com/products/dry-mead-kit-1.html

There is a recipe here, and also the manual. The techniques in the manual or used in this morebeer recipe will get you mead you can drink sooner vs it taking forever to finish and be tasty quicker as well. Especially with stronger meads.

But you can't screw up that Joes recipe, it always works.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thanks...I'll look these over later tonight!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I think we are going to go with the morebeer recipe. He's got more than enough honey, so that not an issue. We talked about making a base 5 gallon batch, then fruiting three, one gallon jugs with different fruit and leave 2 gallons of it straight honey mead. That will give us a little experimentation room.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck