Hazy IPA Kinda Thing

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Hazy IPA Kinda Thing

Post by MadBrewer »

This is a style I haven't gotten into lately, the ones I have had locally are very poor examples...just an oxidized, dark, murky mess with vegetal hop character. So, not saying I know anything about brewing one up myself but I feel I can do better, so I am going to go for one this weekend. Looking at around a 5 gal batch, 5% ABV to keep it sessionable and strive to drink it up quick. Bright, Juicy, Golden Straw SRM sounds pretty good. My LHBS is starting to run low on supplies because of things shutting down so I kept things simple:

9 lbs. 2 Row
1 lb. Flaked Wheat
1 lb. Flaked Oat
.25 lb. Honey Malt

Haven't worked out all the fine details yet with the hops but I have some Columbus for Bittering and a mix of Amarillo, Centennial and Citra for hopstand additions and dry hop. Also chose to use SafAle K-97 yeast. I have used it in a Kolsch, makes a clean, crisp Ale and leaves some yeast haze...perfect right?
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Re: Hazy IPA Kinda Thing

Post by Beer-lord »

I don't know anything about the yeast but I do know that the yeast plus the dry hop addition a day or two after fermentation starts for bio-transformation is important. The first 2 I made weren't too good but the last 2 were pretty good and on 1 I used Imperial Juice yeast and the other was Kveik Hornindal. But I'm interested in how that turns out.
The grain bill is definitely where you want to be.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Thanks for the tips, I do plan on dry hopping early. As for yeast, it's not anything special nor do I think it will add anything to the beer. It's a dry version German Ale yeast, I have made some nice beers with it and chose to use it here simply because it stays put in the beer for that haze. Other than that, it's pretty clean, it can be a bit on the drier side but it's just pretty middle of the road and neutral. I'm not sure when I am brewing so not wanting to be messing with a yeast starter, this may be a spare of the moment thing. I do know I wanted something different than say US-05.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

MB, your grain bill looks like what a NEIPA is. I did my first NEIPA this year with mixed results. It was very good out of the fermenter and good on the first pours, but darkend fast and turned into what you said oxidized, dark, murky mess fast and I drank it up before it got bad. Not sure what caused it, but will try another one because was good in the beginning.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

So have you guys done any hops added for bittering at 60 or even 30mins of the boil or have you guys done all hop stand or whirlpool additions? I have never not added hops to the boil. I am thinking just a small 30 min addition just to give it some backbone.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Once I did a very small 60 minute bittering, .25 oz. But the other times, I only added hops at 5 minutes, flameout then a 30 minute whirlpool at 185.
Play around with it depending on what hops you use. I've seen numerous recipes where all the hops are added at flameout or only at whirlpool.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I think I will follow what I did on a beer a while back where I did 6 oz as a 30 min hopstand starting at 180*. I have the capability to keep temps at 175* or 180* while I whirlpool if I want so I think I will do that. I remember that beer and the incredible hop character and aroma that really popped so I feel good going with that again. Maybe just a small bittering addition at 30 mins, again for some backbone. With or without the small bittering addition, I don't think it will make or break the beer, but I have the hops so why not.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Sunday turned into a bit of a long day. I wasnt sure what time I was going to get started so I didnt really set myself up, I extended the mash for a 30 min rest at 163*, then a mashout, the 30 min Whirlpool hop addition at 175*. It was a bit of a messy batch for the RoboBrew...there was some extra cleaning needed. I was worn out by the time I was all done. Here is the first runnings before the wort ran clear, makes for a good hydro sample. The wort going into the fermenter was a bit brighter, clearer but still hazy. Maybe a little darker than I wanted but not bad. It has some 25L Honey Malt so I would say its about 5 SRM. I did go with a small 30 min bittering addition so I am aiming for more of a Hazy IPA thing than a NEIPA. I am already looking forward to it. Image

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I am just updating this for myself, this did not last long and was so easy drinking. I think it missed the mark on a NEIPA but was a great session style hoppy ale. Loved the grist, loved the yeast and loved the hop character. Things I would adjust is try to get a little more body in there, maybe with more wheat and oats. I would dry hop a bit more and consider the varieties and technique.