Brewfather

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Brewfather

Post by Beer-lord »

Anyone use Brewfather? I keep reading about it and I decided to try the free version out. It's actually pretty nice. It makes water adjustments pretty easy too though I don't know how accurate it is yet (find out Sunday). They want $20 a year and it's good for every device.
I'm not a Facebooker but I checked out their FB page and they seem to have excellent helpers.
I've used Beersmith for a very long time and likely will continue but I can actually see me switching one day.

But, I have to say that Screwy's EZRecipe is damn good for helping with my water additions and I feel pretty comfy with it.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Re: Brewfather

Post by BlackDuck »

Never heard of it. Is it just a water profile program or is it full recipe software like BeerSmith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Oh, it's more full than Beersmith IMO.
https://brewfather.app/
Add a recipe in one app (computer etc. ) and log in on another app and you're right where you left off.
I'm going to try it Sunday and see how it differs from Beersmith. It seems it's a big hit with Europe and the Pacific brewers. But here's a youtube video with a bit of info:(kind of old and it's been updated regularly since this video)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I’ll check it out. Thanks for the link. But I seem to make pretty good beer with BeerSmith already. And I don’t pay a yearly fee for it.

ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

BlackDuck wrote:I’ll check it out. Thanks for the link. But I seem to make pretty good beer with BeerSmith already. And I don’t pay a yearly fee for it.

That's me too. But
As a Free user your are limited to a maximum of 10 recipes/batches, and no import or export. If you exceed these limitations you are free to delete any of your recipes or batches, or sign up for Brewfather Premium.
If you exceed 10 recipes and/or batches in your free Premium trial, you will not lose any data when the trial runs out, but your recipes and/or batches will become read-only. You are allowed to delete so you go under the limit again. When under the limit, Brewfather will work as normal.
So you can continually use it, with limitations, for awhile to learn about how it works. Hey, I'm the typical, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kind of guy!

And I hear so many brag about the fact that the app version is very good and BS app sucks old hops!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I forgot to add something that is important to some people who use the Tilt. It has built in Tilt integration as well as Plaato, iSpindle and a few more things. And its updated very often. Not something Beersmith can say.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Took Brewfather for a ride today and I like it alot! It alerts you at the various times to add hops, nutrient, whirlpool etc. and maybe there will be times when I don't want to bother with using the phone or ipad while brewing but it was helpful. It's numbers were a little different than BS and my final numbers were actually in between BS and BF.
Tilt integration was as simple as copying and pasting an URL in the Tilt app and waiting about 30 seconds for it to connect. Somewhat like BS, you can put in your numbers and it automatically adjusts the summary right away.
For me, it would be useful for $20 per year but I'll decide that after another brew or 2.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Glad it worked out for you. I think I’m just going to keep using BS. It works for me and I’m used to it. So why mess with a good thing.

ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm not pushing this software, just sharing what I'm learning as I use it. Here's what I get after a few checks of the Tilt (for some reason, after going into the keezer, the temp dropped to 60 but I got it back up in a few hours).
My real OG was 1.062 and the Tilt showed it at 1.059....closer than the last 2 times. It seems it's more accurate the lower the gravity is.
Tilt.png
Tilt.png (43.49 KiB) Viewed 775 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

FWIW< BeerSmith does this too. Both desktop and the app.
Beer-lord wrote:Took Brewfather for a ride today and I like it alot! It alerts you at the various times to add hops, nutrient, whirlpool etc. and maybe there will be times when I don't want to bother with using the phone or ipad while brewing but it was helpful.
I'm with Chris on this one. It might be a good tool, I just can't see the reason (for myself) to change.
But I like seeing new things/options, so thanks for sharing.