Oatmeal IPA?

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Oatmeal IPA?

Post by bpgreen »

Let me explain.

No. There is too much.

Let me sum up.

I meant to buy a big bucket of whole wheat at Costco last week (had a day off, took advantage of senior hours). My Costco has 40 lb buckets of whole wheat. I use small amounts in brewing but also cook with it, using it more or less as a replacement for rice.

As a side bonus, the bucket is the same size as a fermenting bucket. It's also a good food grade nonperishable container.

Apparently, a 20# bucket of rolled oats is the same size as a 40# bucket of whole wheat. And I grabbed the wrong one. I could return it, but that would entail another trip.

A little googling shows that people have used oats in brewing IPAs.

Has anybody here done it?

Any hints?

Edited to fix an autocorrect and a typo.
Last edited by bpgreen on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Oatmeal IPA?

Post by John Sand »

I have used oats in brewing, but not in an IPA.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Oats are commonly used in Hazy style IPAs. You can also use them in English beers, Stouts, also Wit biers and other Belgians and Saisons.

Really you could put 1# of oats in pretty much any 5 gallon batch, just don't expect it to be totally clear if you use that much or more. You are fairly certain to get some colloidal haze when using oats.

Some old world (medieval) beers were as much as 60% oats, but those would have been malted oats, not flaked oats. I made beers with 40% and 60% oats when I made some of those as gruits some time ago. Both beers were delicious. Most of those oats were malted oats but I did use some flaked as well.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Thanks for the info. I may just vacuum seal in several bags and freeze. But I may try a small amount in a batch, and if I like it try a little more in another.