Black is Beautiful Imperial Stout

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Black is Beautiful Imperial Stout

Post by Beer-lord »

This IS NOT A POLITICAL THREAD and is purely discussing the beers being brewed throughout the world and if you want to discuss the reasons for the worldwide brewing, please start a new, separate thread. Information on the cause and recipes for both homebrewers and pro brewers can be found here: https://blackisbeautiful.beer/

I love good stouts though Imperial versions are something I don't always buy (and have never brewed) because of the alcohol content. However, since I do like them, and they appear to be popping up now in my area, I decided I would try as many versions as I can to share with friends and see what each brewery/recipe brings to these beers.
Today I grabbed 2 local versions. Both are 10%-Urban South’s version of Black is Beautiful features locally roasted coffee and coconut milk for a latte style stout and NOLA Brewery's version is a Imperial Chocolate with chocolate from an amazing local chocolatier (I love that word!) Since it appears these won't be sold in stores and I have no desire to travel far to get beer, it's likely I will only be able to get 1 or 2 more to try.

So I wanted to post this so that if you try some, or if you brew the recipe, we can all share thoughts.
As I drink the 2 I have already, I'll post my short thoughts and pics when I do.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Black is Beautiful Imperial Stout

Post by mashani »

Looks like a lot of OH breweries are participating. I'll have to go find some. (I probably won't brew an Imperial Stout just because I don't want to drink a lot of 10% beer). EDIT: That recipe looks perfectly fine to split in half though and make a more reasonable ABV stout, could probably just leave out the sugar and add more base malt / flaked barley and end up with something quite good.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I tried one of the 2 I bought yesterday and enjoyed it. It was a 'coffee and coconut' version though neither was strongly present. It did not have much of a head, I guess due to the coconut and for a 10% beer, you'd never know it. It was lacking in aroma (no head problem I guess) but the wife really liked it. I'm sure they are better and worse styles of this beer out there and I'm not sorry I got this one. It came from the Urban South Brewery here in NOLA.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

If you're keeping track, I've learned to enjoy a good stout. But I'm mostly on the milk stout and dry Irish stout end of things, so the Imperial Stout is out of my wheelhouse.