Brew Demon infection question

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Disasterdave

Brew Demon infection question

Post by Disasterdave »

Good Day, just made my first 2 Gal brew demon kit (The Twisted Monk). A few things threw me about this process (I have made 2 other brews with brewers best) the recipe for the brewdemon kits ,has me pour tap water in the fermentor, it has me pour the hot wort in the fermentor, and wait for the temp to go down, instead of cold crashing it in ice. My question is doing this am I making lots of opportunities for infection of my wort? It seems like it to me, with all the water being boiled to make Wort in the Brewers Best kits. :fedora:

Thanks Disasterdave
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Brew Demon infection question

Post by HerbMeowing »

The water added to wort should very much be boiled and chilled first; otherwise ... there's (small) risk of contamination.

I'd cool the wort kettle in the sink with a water bath ... then add it to the chilled water in the fermentor.
IIRC ... the final temperature is halfway between the wort's initial temperature and the temperature of the chilled water.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Disasterdave

Post by Disasterdave »

Thanks Herb, yes I think I will follow that next time, it seems to be going well in there
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

It's great that you're thinking about this. I agree, to be safe I would recommend boiling and then cooling the water first.

But I wouldn't lose any sleep over this batch. Beer is pretty hearty stuff.

Congratulations on getting the first few under your belt.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Both Mr. Beer and Brewdemon have the same base instructions, i.e. putting 1 gallon of cold tap water into the fermenter, added the recently boiling wort and water mix, then topping off with cold tap water. There is zero reason to boil, then cool the tap water. If you want, sanitize a gallon jug or two, fill it with tap water, and refrigerate to ensure that the end result is around 65 - 70 degrees when you pitch.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

If reason to boil and chill is zero ... then why do so many home-brewers recommend doing it?
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers