Carbonation

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Pdunc

Carbonation

Post by Pdunc »

Several people on the forum mention using Domino Dots for carbonation. Do they comfortably fit into the mouth of a 12 oz bottle? Also, one post stated that they were equivalent to 1/2 tsp, but the info on the Walmart site says they are equivalent to 3/4 tsp. Are these made in different sizes?
Pdunc

Re: Carbonation

Post by Pdunc »

Checked the Domino site and they say equivalent to 1/2 tsp. I’m not sure of their size though and still wonder if they easily fit into a 12 oz bottle. Will one dot create enough carbonation for a Witbier? BrewDemon recommends 3/4 tsp.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The amount of sugar Brew Demon and Mr. Beer recommend is too much for most styles of beer. It is about right for a Wheat beer or a Belgian (IE your Wit Bier), but you don't need as much for most anything else. They probably recommend it just so you always get a huge head because it looks cool or something.

One dot per 12oz is enough for most beer though.

I think they will fit in a 12oz glass bottle, but I've always used them in PETs.

I would not put 2 of them in a 12oz glass bottle unless it was a Belgian bottle meant to hold immense pressure (like a Duval short neck bottle).
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

When bottle priming you can experiment a little with the sugar quantity. I used Dots, but found the carb a bit light for my taste. I would add one or two Brewers Best Conditioning Tablets, which are very small, to the dot. Or you can buy other carbonation drops. Bottle a few with each method, mark the bottles, see what works for you.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Yes, the Domino Dots fit fine into a 12oz. bottle, one per bottle, that's actually what I prefer to use for bottle priming. However, lately stores have been out of stock, like a lot of things, so I've had to resort back to batch priming.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Used 2 Dots / PET back in the day. Seemed ~2.4 vols
Prime now w/speise =>> adds 1/2 L to batch size
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

HerbMeowing wrote:Used 2 Dots / PET back in the day. Seemed ~2.4 vols
Prime now w/speise =>> adds 1/2 L to batch size

Keep the audience in mind. This is a new brewer. Explain what speise means.