champagne

Share your wine making recipes and thoughts here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: champagne

Post by John Sand »

I'm interested in the result. No, it's not really champagne without French grapes. But it's an unusual old recipe. At worst it will be a dumper and he's out a few bucks. I would also suggest not to give up on it too quickly, this may take months to mellow.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
DeBus

Post by DeBus »

Pulled the fruit out on Friday so now just have to let it ferment another 30 days before bottling.

Can't say I detected anything such as smell or otherwise to let me know how we are doing.

I do know that the bubbler was definitely bubbling for the majority of the fermenting time so far.
DeBus

Post by DeBus »

For those that have been following and or waiting for an update, I bottled this about 2 weeks ago and have been letting it acclimate in the bottle. It's cleared pretty nicely.
Ended up with 3 bottles worth and probably could've made another but didn't have any more bottles.

I didn't prime any of them so will see how the first bottle goes when I open it on turkey day.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Cool. I hope it turns out well.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
DeBus

Post by DeBus »

Well wish I could say it turned out, but it didnt'..

Started off sweet in the mouth but the finish was very vinegarry.

Maybe it needed to acclimate longer in the bottle or should have more time in the fermenter, IDK. Not sure if I will give it another try or not.

Started the Brewdemon pilsner.. stick to something I know.....
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

DeBus wrote:Well wish I could say it turned out, but it didnt'..

Started off sweet in the mouth but the finish was very vinegarry.

Maybe it needed to acclimate longer in the bottle or should have more time in the fermenter, IDK. Not sure if I will give it another try or not.

Started the Brewdemon pilsner.. stick to something I know.....
If I remember correctly, a vinegar taste in wine is usually a result of expose to oxygen after fermentation has completed. I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I could be mistaken.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

DeBus wrote:Well wish I could say it turned out, but it didnt'..

Oh well atleast you tried and it was a hand me down recipe from a relative and that is worth something. With that much sugar would probable need quite a long age time. If you want to try a cheap, easy and proven wine, try this viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6324 I have made it quite a few times and everyone seems to like it. you would have to scale it down for your size fementer.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:If I remember correctly, a vinegar taste in wine is usually a result of expose to oxygen after fermentation has completed. I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I could be mistaken.
This would be the case if it had an acetobacter infection. Because it needs oxygen to do its thing effectively, and it's thing is turning alcohol into vinegar. It is more common infection in wine then beer because wine's not boiled. This is one of the reasons people hit wine with a ton of potassium metabisulfite or similar stuff, it murders bugs and removes oxygen, so if more bugs got in or were still left there, they can't do their thing so well.