Hello All

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

DjPorkchop

Hello All

Post by DjPorkchop »

Hello all. I just wanted to stop in and give a quick shout to all my old pals from the old MrB fans community and new ones alike. I was formerly known as MWE_001 there.

Lifes been hectic and have not really got to brew at all. Last batch was over a year ago. I went down stairs tonight and saw all my equipment and thought I would slowly get back into it all the easy old fashioned way by pouring out of a can and stirring ..... until I saw the cost of it tonight on the website. No thanks! LHBS it is. I can't justify that cost. Nothing like a 5 gallon partial mash as a welcome back. :D

Anyway, I hope everyone is well and healthy and staying safe as can be in these lovely times we are experiencing.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Hello All

Post by John Sand »

Thanks! Welcome back!
While I love BIAB, there are times when I just want the beer, and an extract+ or partial mash gives me an easier day.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Welcome!
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Hello and welcome back to brewing. I also joined the Mr Beer fan forum at one time but think I only posted a couple times on there. Was on the old MB forum alot until that shit the bed and came here and way better atmosphere. A lot of the same people from both sites here. plus new brewers. Make some beer my friend and post.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
DjPorkchop

Post by DjPorkchop »

Hello again all and thanks for the replies.

Yeah berryman I like the atmosphere here much better than the other place. I knew right off the get go I would. I really enjoyed seeing many of the old MrB Fans here when I registered. That was great.

I think I am going to get with my LHBS guy and talk with him about smaller batches with the 3 lb Briess extracts. I still have my LBK's but I also have some fairly new ale pails as well. I had 3 back surgeries done recently and picking up 5+ gallons of water and bags of grain and all that just isn't in the works for me as we speak. I would live to get a traditional sized Pipeline going like I had before until I think my back can do it again.

How I used to do it was the LBK this week, in 2 weeks I would bottle and brew another. In 2 more weeks, the bottles would go int he fridge and last brewed batch would get bottled and a new batch would get brewed, lather rinse repeat. Eventually I was always able to drink my home brew while doing that weeks homebrew tasks. Ahhhhh good times! And it sure was nice when I got my kegs as well. So I had 2 full kegs in the fridge and always had the 3 batch pipeline going as well. Dag'gum back!!! lol Now to get back into it again.

Anyway, I am way past bed time here so goign to split for now. it was great hearing back from you all. Be safe and stay healthy! Until next time, catch you on the flip flop!
DjPorkchop

Post by DjPorkchop »

FrozenInTime wrote:Welcome back!
https://youtu.be/xZzEzDkeHzI

Ha ha ha!! I just sent this link to my buddy last night on Teamspeak that I hadnt talked to in a few months. Ha ha that's great man. Thanks!!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

DjPorkchop wrote: I think I am going to get with my LHBS guy and talk with him about smaller batches with the 3 lb Briess extracts. I still have my LBK's but I also have some fairly new ale pails as well. I had 3 back surgeries done recently and picking up 5+ gallons of water and bags of grain and all that just isn't in the works for me as we speak. I would live to get a traditional sized Pipeline going like I had before until I think my back can do it again
Hey FWIW, I have been brewing 5-6 gallon batches but splitting them between two 3 gallon fermenters so that I don't have to lug around 5 gallons at a time. Also if you want you can use different yeasts and/or different dry hops and end up with different stuff for the same amount of work.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
DjPorkchop wrote: I think I am going to get with my LHBS guy and talk with him about smaller batches with the 3 lb Briess extracts. I still have my LBK's but I also have some fairly new ale pails as well. I had 3 back surgeries done recently and picking up 5+ gallons of water and bags of grain and all that just isn't in the works for me as we speak. I would live to get a traditional sized Pipeline going like I had before until I think my back can do it again
Hey FWIW, I have been brewing 5-6 gallon batches but splitting them between two 3 gallon fermenters so that I don't have to lug around 5 gallons at a time. Also if you want you can use different yeasts and/or different dry hops and end up with different stuff for the same amount of work.
I was thinking along the same lines as I was reading his post.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Welcome back! I'm glad you got back on the horse.

I mix up my brewing with mostly AG batches, and some extract, when I want an easier brew day (or if I just feel like making that beer). And I do five gallon batches and 3 gallon batches, so keep variety in the pipeline.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun, so don't sweat the small stuff.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch