Can i reuse Alum beer bottles

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Makom

Can i reuse Alum beer bottles

Post by Makom »

Can i wash and reuse the Aluminum beer bottles like the once coors light come in
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Can i reuse Alum beer bottles

Post by mashani »

Makom wrote:Can i wash and reuse the Aluminum beer bottles like the once coors light come in
If they have twist off caps, the caps may not seal well with re-use. And a regular bottle capper might not cap them property, so they may lose pressure. It may work but YMMV.

Also, I believe those bottles are not anodized and instead have a liner, because beer is low PH and although normally aluminum is fine (IE for water) once you get acidic like beer or tomato sauce or the like, the aluminum can get reactive and you could end up with some in your beer without the surface being anodized or having a liner to prevent contact.

You do not want this to happen... if the liner degrades, it will happen.

How long the liner will last before it degrades, I can not answer. But as they are meant as single use / recycle bottles, so it may not last very long.

So... I would approach it with caution.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I don't know, but if you try it, keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Makom

Post by Makom »

The aluminum bottles used in coors light have been working ok when I reused. I have been getting a good seal on the cans. On the last batch the cans got really hard and I put them in the fridge. They were really good
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Makom wrote:The aluminum bottles used in coors light have been working ok when I reused. I have been getting a good seal on the cans. On the last batch the cans got really hard and I put them in the fridge. They were really good
That's good, just be careful with that inner liner. Once it starts to wear out, you need to get new bottles because the beer will likely react with the exposed aluminum.