Blending Guinness stouts

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Blending Guinness stouts

Post by Crazy Climber »

Any Guinness fans here?
I'd be curious to know what you think of this beer columnists assertion that Guinness Stout has changed over time, and his experience with blending Guinness Draft Stout and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout:

https://www.masslive.com/entertainment/ ... taste.html
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Blending Guinness stouts

Post by mashani »

Well when your drinking it in Ireland on draft it is likely more fresh then it is here, and it is not likely Extra Stout or Foreign Extra Stout (which is even stronger) on draft. I have never actually seen Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout on draft. And they are totally different beers then normal Nitrogen Draft Guinness. They really shouldn't even be compared as if they were the same beer.

What I can tell you is that I think that regular bottled Extra Stout used to have more tang. By that I mean a slight sourness from a bit of a sour mash. I believe they still do it, but back 25 years ago, I really noticed it. These days not so much. I drank the stuff pretty warm, like cellar temps, not refrigerated, because it really brought out the tang and I liked it.

Then again my tastes may have changed, I can't exactly blind test that.

I don't normally drink the stronger foreign extra, but maybe it hasn't lost it's tang. That might account for the blending thing making it + draft something more similar to what I am thinking about as old school Extra Stout. But I don't know.

I guess I'd be willing to try blending those two things and see, as that blend would give me a beer without too much alcohol for my liking. I don't normally see Foreign Extra stout around here though.