Maibock?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Maibock?

Post by berryman »

Any interest in doing a Borg brew? I remember on the old MB forum we all couldn't wait for the next seasonal to come out, and would all brew it about the same time and post our results. The MB Maibock was my favorite of them. Could put together different ways/recipes for everyone from beginner to AG. Thoughts, ideas, Just thinking..........
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Maibock?

Post by mashani »

I could get into it if others want to.
buddo

Post by buddo »

I like Rogue Dead Guy Ale and would be down with trying to replicat it. It's a Maibock.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

buddo wrote:I like Rogue Dead Guy Ale and would be down with trying to replicat it. It's a Maibock.
Good deal and a starting point, how do you brew canned, extract and steep or mostly mashed grain? Going to work a way all could brew it. The only starting point I have right now is going to use mostly Pilsner malt and some Munich. hallertau and spelt hops and want to use w-34/70 dry yeast. Want a light colored, malty, but low hop presence lager around 7% ABV 1.065- 1.075 OG
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

berryman wrote:
buddo wrote:I like Rogue Dead Guy Ale and would be down with trying to replicat it. It's a Maibock.
Good deal and a starting point, how do you brew canned, extract and steep or mostly mashed grain? Going to work a way all could brew it. The only starting point I have right now is going to use mostly Pilsner malt and some Munich. hallertau and spelt hops and want to use w-34/70 dry yeast. Want a light colored, malty, but low hop presence lager around 7% ABV 1.065- 1.075 OG
BeerSmith has a function that converts extract/ partial mash to all grain. I'm pretty sure it can also convert all grain to extract + steeping grains. I'm not sure if it does all grain to partial mash automatically, but I'm sure we can figure that out.

It might be tough to come up with something using HME, though.

Rogue uses pacman yeast. They also naturally carbonate their beers, so If you're adventurous and patient and careful, you can bottle harvest (although I've read that they filter dead guy, so it's best to use one of their other beers. I did that 7 years ago, but I don't know which beer I harvested from (my notes only say bottle harvested pacman).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Rogue says Dead Guy Ingredients: 2-Row, C15 & Munich Malts; Perle & Sterling Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

BYO's recipe is:

8.0 lb (3.6 kg) Great Western 2-row pale malt
2.0 lb (0.9 kg) Munich malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) 15° L crystal malt
1.0 oz (28 g) Perle pellet hops, 8% alpha acid (90 min)
0.5 oz (14 g) Saaz pellet hops, 4.3% alpha acid (10 min)

(replace the Saaz with Sterling I guess).

1# of 15L seems like a hella lot. A traditional Maibock recipe it wouldn't have any crystal at all, or if it did it would be maybe 4oz in a 5 gallon batch - it would be more Munich or Vienna or a mix, and less or no crystal.

That doesn't mean I think the BYO recipe would taste bad. But I've never had Dead Guy, so I don't know how it really compares to a traditional maibock.

Also 11# of malt doesn't seem like enough to be at the OG that is required. I would think it would need to be closer to 13 at least. IE an extra pound of 2 row and an extra pound of munich I think. Maybe even more.

If I did it, I'd scale it to 6 gallons, split it across 2 fermenters, and do one with Pacman, and 1 with 34/70 or something. Just to compare.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Maybe something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

That is much more traditional.

For reference, this is Gordon Strong (you know the guy who principally wrote the BJCP style guidelines) recipe.

7.5 lbs. (3.4 kg) Pilsner malt
3.5 lbs. (1.4 kg) Vienna malt
1.5 lbs. (680 g) Munich malt
12 oz. (340 g) aromatic malt
1.6 AAU Hallertauer hops (first wort hop) (0.5 oz./14 g at 3.2% alpha acids)
5.5 AAU Magnum hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 11% alpha acids)
1.6 AAU Hallertauer hops (15 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 3.2% alpha acids)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Hallertauer hops (0 min.)
White Labs WLP833 (German Bock) or Saflager W34/70 yeast

Now really that 12oz of aromatic is just replacing a larger proportion of Munich, to allow for more Pilsner / Vienna and keep OG where it is, so if desired that could be tweaked, IE instead use 3# Vienna and 3# munich. And then *whalla!* it is almost the same as what you posted above! He must prefer a bit more of the Pils and Vienna malt character to come through without losing the malt nose you would get from more Munich and without increasing the OG any higher.

The reality is that this concept is almost like a stronger version of the Vienna lager I recently brewed, with more flavor hops in the mix, which is appropriate for this style.

If folks wanted to go with a little bit of C15 like the Dead Guy, I'm ok with it, but I would think something more like 4oz would be more appropriate, just enough to add a *touch* of sweetness and some head retention. Or as another option 4oz of honey malt would likely work well, as it is like a sweeter version of Melanoidin malt (which is functionally the same as the Aromatic malt used above), so it would provide a touch of sweetness like the C15 but otherwise be closer to what belongs in this style. In small amounts it would work well.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I used pilsner and munich with perle hops, 34/70 eating/pharting machines. Probably tweak it hard next year if I do it again.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

So I went ahead and brewed one of these using ingredients on hand, so it isn't like any of these recipes, but should "work" and make beer I will like to drink.

So for a 6 gallon Franken Maibock:

9# Viking Extra Pale malt (works ok as Pils sub, it ferments out drier then the regular Viking pale).
5# Viking Vienna malt
1# Viking Light Munich
8oz Carahell, because I didn't have more Munich, nor did I have any honey malt... but I figured that would give some character, and I decided to split the difference between my conservative 4oz, and the 1# of 10L that went into the dead guy recipe. Because if your gonna frankenbier, then do it all the way.

I used a total of 3oz of hops, they were only 2.8aa, it was a mix of 2oz of Saaz and 1oz of the Polish Lubiski. I mixed them all together.

1.5oz @60
0.75oz @20
0.75oz @flameout

Remember I slow chill so I will get significant AAUs from the late additions. It might turn out slightly too hoppy but WTH, at least it's good hops!

I might use lager yeast in 3 gallons, and German Ale/Kolsch yeast in the other 3 gallons. Because again I've already frankebrewed it, so why not more.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I was thinking there wasn’t much interest in doing a Maibock and a little late to have it ready by May atleast for me, so I scaled it back and more of a Munich Helles now but came in a little higher then planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I've done a Munich Helles and it came out great! I do it as a step brew to keep it close to german specks, does not take much longer to run through using an electric brewer. It was an RCE my assigned brewing partner bailed on. Shame, it is a heck of a good brew!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote:I've done a Munich Helles and it came out great! I do it as a step brew to keep it close to german specks
FIT, I did something like that today. Started with 138 then set it at 148 and did a 90 min mash. I don't know how long it took to get to 148 and on the 1000 watt setting. I love this electric brewing. I think it will be good as long as I do good on the lager part. 34/70 and going to keep it in the mid to high 50 range.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:I've done a Munich Helles and it came out great! I do it as a step brew to keep it close to german specks
FIT, I did something like that today. Started with 138 then set it at 148 and did a 90 min mash. I don't know how long it took to get to 148 and on the 1000 watt setting. I love this electric brewing. I think it will be good as long as I do good on the lager part. 34/70 and going to keep it in the mid to high 50 range.
Yeah the way I do a "full" step with an acid rest in mine is I heat it to about 85 degrees, and then start the mash, set it at 1000 watts, and set the temp to my desired lower sac temp step. Then I just walk away. If I am going to do a warmer sac step at the end, I come back in about an hour and set it to that temp, otherwise I ignore it for an hour. It has always seemed to work well. (it certainly causes no harm)
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Here's the Maibock I've done in the past that my homebrew store posted.

Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...