Next steps for basic cider

Recipes based on BrewDemon Extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jbeins1

Next steps for basic cider

Post by jbeins1 »

I have been brewing the basic cider kit from brew demon. It has been just over a week in the conical fermenter, and the instructions say you can bottle it now, but from what i've been reading here I have let it sit and have been tasting it from time to time. It is still slightly sweet, so I am letting it go until week 2 since I think the yeast are still hard at work. My question is about bottling. The instructions say that I can put the priming sugar in and put it in the fridge or at room temp for a week. Is room temp better over the fridge for cider? Also, should I be letting it sit for more than a week before drinking?
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Next steps for basic cider

Post by berryman »

jbeins1 wrote:I have been brewing the basic cider kit from brew demon. It has been just over a week in the conical fermenter, and the instructions say you can bottle it now, but from what i've been reading here I have let it sit and have been tasting it from time to time. It is still slightly sweet, so I am letting it go until week 2
Yes I think 2 weeks in the fermenter is your best bet.
jbeins1 wrote: My question is about bottling. The instructions say that I can put the priming sugar in and put it in the fridge or at room temp for a week. Is room temp better over the fridge for cider? Also, should I be letting it sit for more than a week before drinking?
If you put it in the fridge right after bottle priming with the sugar it won't carb but might be a touch sweeter, if you let it sit at room temp for a week or so it will carb up, I guess if you are looking for a fizzy cider or a non carbed but a sweeter cider would depend on which way to go with it.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
jbeins1

Post by jbeins1 »

Thanks for the reply! I am bottling tomorrow, and I think I will let it sit at room temp for a week. Does the fridge temp kill the yeast, is that why it won't carb up in there?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

jbeins1 wrote:Thanks for the reply! I am bottling tomorrow, and I think I will let it sit at room temp for a week. Does the fridge temp kill the yeast, is that why it won't carb up in there?
Doesn't really kill it, they just basically go into hibernation. If you took it back out of the fridge they would wake up if there was still something in the beer for them to eat. IE if you did the flat sweetened cider, it would stay that as long as left in the fridge, but if you took it out and it sat out at room temp for 2 weeks, you would quite likely have drier fizzy cider then.