Rhizomes

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Rhizomes

Post by FrozenInTime »

I have a garden full of hop rhizomes. One group is Nugget and the other is Centennial (I think.... they are from the C family). I got my starts from another on here (BP?, don't remember. Do you remember exactly what you sent me?). I get many pounds of hops per season, much more than I can use so I am going to dig alot of them out. I would like to share the bounty to forum members interested in their own plants. Every year they climb much higher than the 8 foot supports I put up, I think they could get very tall and produce quite a quantity depending on your set-up. I have been using the Nugget for bittering and the C for flavor/aroma.

Anybody want them? I would hate to throw them away, I'll pay for shipping, all you need to do is plant them. No charge to you except elbow grease in taking care of them. I want to give them to those that do not have any first, give the newbies/non-hop guys first shot. As a side note, I've never sent them by mail so no guarantees on plant health although I suspect there will be no problems. They survive the frigid/5 month froze solid ground of ND so they would probably grow anywhere with care. I run a sprinkler system on my garden, water every other day and they go nuts! I spread old chicken manure between the rows every couple years so they do get some fertilizer but don't seem to need alot. My soil is sandy loam so I would say they would grow good in about any soil condition.

Reply on this post with your name and how many you want, don't get greedy, a few go a very long ways. I'll message you for mailing address. I suspect I will have appx 20 plants of each one but could be more, have not dug yet. Ground is just starting to thaw. Oh, continental United States only on shipping.

:party:
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Rhizomes

Post by bpgreen »

I've got centennial and cascade, but don't remember which I sent you. I also have comedy, but haven't gotten any rhizomes from that.

I've always just put rhizomes in ziploc baggies and used padded manilla envelopes.

I kind of think centennial is more likely what I sent you.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Wow, nice offer. I hope some people take you up on it.

I've got cascade and columbus and earlier this year ordered some cashmere and comet.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've never had any luck growing them. Something that gets into my yard at night seems to eat them as they come up and they never manage to get established. Hungry urban deer or something.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Probably deer. I have a 6' fence around my garden, until I put it up, nothing grew more than a couple inches. I had 20 raspberry plants outside my garden, they got mowed down every year before they could produce... freaking deer love them. Inside my garden... they have gone nuts and became very intrusive... LOL Same with my hops, they go nuts and would take over if I did not trim them couple times a week.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FiT, yes that is a very good offer for someone that wants to try and grow some hops and is fun. These things can go nuts under the right circumstances. I have eight binds and on 18 ft. And sometimes out grow that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I'd take some if you are still offering... I'll stress that I already have one healthy plant, so I agree on passing them to first timers first, but if you don't get takers...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

No one has asked for any. How many plants you want, 10, 15? You can have them all if no one else speaks up.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

FrozenInTime wrote:No one has asked for any. How many plants you want, 10, 15? You can have them all if no one else speaks up.
I actually have a friend who bought a farm last year and wants to start a hop crop this year. So whatever you care to pass would get good use between the two of us.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I've asked my brother and nephew if they're interested.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Welp Swen, message me your address and I'll send you some, if I don't hear from anyone else I'll send you quite a few. I should be able to dig in my garden in the next couple weeks.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

bpgreen wrote:I've asked my brother and nephew if they're interested.
They don't have time or room this year. Looks like Swen gets a bunch.

If you're sending a lot, check ot flat rate USPS boxes.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Might be awhile before I can get them out. Tried today, got down maybe 2 inches..... freaking ground is still frozen here..... yeash! I'm soooooo over winter.....
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Hah... No worries

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Hey guys! I moved, so need to start over. I’d love some rhizomes if you have any. I had Chinook, Centennial, and Cascade at the old house. Let me know if you can help, that’d be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk