Floaters

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Floaters

Post by clay5769 »

Are these normal? It's twisted monk . I've asked about this before about some other beer but it still kind of worries me
Attachments
IMG_14032021_190833_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg
IMG_14032021_190833_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
IMG_14032021_190848_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg
IMG_14032021_190848_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg (59.95 KiB) Viewed 4790 times
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Floaters

Post by HerbMeowing »

i might be concerned if it smelled funky; otherwise ... seeing how it's HME with coriander and orange; not surprising to see flotsam ...
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, don't worry about it with that HME. I recall them looking that way, too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

Got ya thanks
Smells like sweet cider right now. And still bubbles a bit no bad smells

Now the hard cider I just did was smelling like rotten eggs but that's subsided mostly. And it's still bubbles like crazy I have got a while for it to be ready to bottle
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Rotten egg smell isn't necessarily A bad thing during fermentation. Some yeast strains throw off sulfur but that goes away as fermentation finishes, as long as you leave it enough time to clean up.

clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

It's just hard to look at all the stuff floating in the fermenter and go WOW can't wait to drink that :oops:
Now I'm starting to understand it...
Last edited by clay5769 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

Kealia wrote:Rotten egg smell isn't necessarily A bad thing during fermentation. Some yeast strains throw off sulfur but that goes away as fermentation finishes, as long as you leave it enough time to clean up.

Ty I just learned that on this forum thanks to all the replys, it was really bad the first week now it's not to bad at all still bubbles like a witch's cauldron. :fillup

I'm just leary of food poisoning I've had it a few times it's no fun at all but I've been reassured numerous times that unless I mess up the recipes the alcohol content should kill any bugs that will make you sick...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

clay5769 wrote:It's just hard to look at all the stuff floating in the fermenter and go WOW can't wait to drink that :oops:
Here if it makes you feel better, I drank what came out of this. This is what an actual infection looks like. In my case this is Brett C, a kind of wild yeast that lives in my house. Makes the beer taste like you added pinapple juice and strained it through some funky hay. What you have there are just normal floaters.
IMG_0163.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 4728 times
clay5769 wrote:I'm just leary of food poisoning I've had it a few times it's no fun at all but I've been reassured numerous times that unless I mess up the recipes the alcohol content should kill any bugs that will make you sick...
It is really almost impossible to get food poisoning from it, that's why fermentation is magic. People who get sick from fermented things either fermented in a vessel or with water contaminated with heavy metals or other toxic compounds (literally poisons but not the "food kind") or with ingredients that contributed to making the "wrong" kinds of alcohol (which is poison) - but somehow didn't manage to make a good amount of the "right" kinds of alcohol (which is actually an "antidote" for the poison kinds believe it or not). In your kinds of fermenters using the ingredients you are using this is literally impossible. You could make something that tastes like garbage, but even that wouldn't hurt you if you could stomach it.
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

mashani wrote:
clay5769 wrote:It's just hard to look at all the stuff floating in the fermenter and go WOW can't wait to drink that :oops:
Here if it makes you feel better, I drank what came out of this. This is what an actual infection looks like. In my case this is Brett C, a kind of wild yeast that lives in my house. Makes the beer taste like you added pinapple juice and strained it through some funky hay. What you have there are just normal floaters.
The attachment IMG_0163.jpg is no longer available
clay5769 wrote:I'm just leary of food poisoning I've had it a few times it's no fun at all but I've been reassured numerous times that unless I mess up the recipes the alcohol content should kill any bugs that will make you sick...
It is really almost impossible to get food poisoning from it, that's why fermentation is magic. People who get sick from fermented things either fermented in a vessel or with water contaminated with heavy metals or other toxic compounds (literally poisons but not the "food kind") or with ingredients that contributed to making the "wrong" kinds of alcohol (which is poison) - but somehow didn't manage to make a good amount of the "right" kinds of alcohol (which is actually an "antidote" for the poison kinds believe it or not). In your kinds of fermenters using the ingredients you are using this is literally impossible. You could make something that tastes like garbage, but even that wouldn't hurt you if you could stomach it.

Ty wow that picture makes my floaters look like hair in your coffee in comparison....

I now know what you mean about it being safe it's just some of the floaters look sooooooo bad but it's like some of the stuff I ate in the army horrible stuff but you had to sometimes plug your nose and eat or go hungry.

It won't kill you but some of the C-rations were absolutely disgusting a prime example ham and lima beans and add to that mostly had to eat them cold in field unless you got lucky and found a duce and half with a warm engine block to set it on with vent in can so it don't explode.....

And no that's not a can gone bad it's just looks like crap

:woot:
Attachments
IMG_16032021_072229_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg
IMG_16032021_072229_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 4666 times