Bubbler

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Bubbler

Post by clay5769 »

I'm using a bubbler for the first time all my others had built in vents. I'm trying each type the S shaped one and the round one.

My question is how long until I start to see movement bubbles or something. And if there's no movement it means it's not fermenting?

:clink:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Bubbler

Post by mashani »

If you see bubbles at all depends on how well the rest of the system is sealed up, IE if it's a bubbler in a brew demon fermenter, and the lid gasket isn't fully sealed it will still vent out the lid and you may see fewer or no bubbles.

Assuming you do get them, you won't see many bubbles until the yeast go into "active" mode, so usually 8-24 hours after you pitch the yeast.

Lack of visible bubbles is *not* proof that your fermentation is done, or that fermentation isn't happening. IE don't think that if after 7 days and you seeing no bubbles means you should ignore our advice to wait 14 because it's "done" looking. You need to test the gravity and have it remain stable for 3 days for actual proof that it's done with *most yeasts*.

* most because there are some strains that like to stall out around 1.020 or there about and may even stay there for 3 days but they are not done, and if you were to warm it up or give it a swirl, or just simply wait long enough they will start back up. You luckily are not using on of those right now, but just be aware to "learn" about your yeast strains if you start to expand your beer types in that regards.

If you are seeing a layer building up at the bottom of the fermenter, but no bubbles, be assured that fermentation has happened, or is happening.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

What carboy are you using? I use the round bubbler, I use vodka for the liquid. I have 2 going, one at 3 weeks and another 2.5 weeks. I can sit/drink a beer and watch them, I am still getting a bubble every 10-15 minutes. I bet yours is not totally sealed. I always recommend folks leave in carboy for 3 weeks as the yeast are still working, if nothing else, cleaning up after themselves. I'm transfering one of them to a secondary carboy tomorrow for another 4 weeks. Patience is always rewarded, I do all grain and rarely a simple recipe. I ranch most my yeast, I usually see activity in under 12 hours. Dry yeast takes a little bit longer, IMHO.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

^^What Mash said above^^
A round one I think you are referring to is a 3 piece and my preferred one on beer if not using a blow-off tube. A S lock will usually show more bubbles, but as stated above all depends on the seal of the fermemter and temps and yeast used and no indication when the beer is done or even started working for that matter but it is fun to see the active bubbles :)
Edit: And also FIT's advice, he posted before I hit the send button.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

FrozenInTime wrote:What carboy are you using?.
Forgot what they are called here's some pictures the ones with the bubbles is the new ones I just got. The lids lock by turning them and they lock in place kind of like a safety pill bottle

I unfortunately been buying to many fermenters. Not knowing which is the best type or size for me
Originally I thought 1 gallon would be way to much beer to drink it just sounds like a lot but it's not really .

I've found for me 2 to 4 gallon is best.
Thanks all
Attachments
IMG_16032021_035902_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg
IMG_16032021_035902_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg (70.42 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
IMG_16032021_035914_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg
IMG_16032021_035914_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
IMG_16032021_040023_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg
IMG_16032021_040023_(461_x_480_pixel).jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I've never seen carboys like those (except for the Brew Demon)! I would say there should be a gasket under those lids. I have a bunch of 6 gallon bigmouth plastic carboys, easy to clean like those. I have used them for 3 to 6 gallon batches. Don't worry about head-space, the yeasties will fill that up pretty quick, no need to worry about oxygen in them. That gets pushed out first as yeasties phart away.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

:thanks:
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

FrozenInTime wrote:I've never seen carboys like those (except for the Brew Demon)!.
Here's where I got them.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/4-gal ... pigot.html