#120: Old Fozziwig

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

#120: Old Fozziwig

Post by swenocha »

I have a few long time holiday favorites, but a few of them are getting harder and harder to come by. Since Sam Adams stopped distributing Old Fezziwig, one of said annual favorites, I sought out a homebrew recipe for the beer and planned to get the ingredients for a Thanksgiving break brewday. And... then I didn't buy the ingredients. Then I actually bought the ingredients over Christmas break, but wasn't able to brew. Finally, on 3/7 I actually got around to brewing after I kicked the keg on the saison I brewed in the fall. So, way out of season, but no matter. Will likely keg it this weekend. Added the Clarity Ferm to make it gluten free.

Grains
9 lbs 2 Row Malt
1.5 lbs Munich Malt
0.75 lbs Crystal Malt (60 °L)
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt

Hops
2.5 oz Tettnanger - 60 min
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh - 5 min

Other additions
Cinnamon - 1 Stick - 5 min
Sweet Orange Peel 1oz - 5 min
Ginger Root .5 oz - 5 min
Yeast nutrient - 10 min
Irish Moss - 10 min

S-04 (2 packets)
Clarity Ferm

Tried out the new Catalyst fermenter that a friend bought but then never opened and ultimately gifted to me.

Tap handle label:

Last edited by swenocha on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: #120: Old Fozziwig

Post by John Sand »

The recipe looks good, the pics don't show on my laptop.
Bottle a few and save them for Christmas.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice, Swen. I used to really enjoy that beer so I'll be curious to know what you think of it when you tap it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Transferred from the Catalyst for the first time while enjoying a Yazoo Goo Goo Ale. Went pretty smoothly and is super easy with this setup. Learned one or two things I'd likely do different next time, but also bought the racking accessory for this fermenter to make things even easier next time, but it will involve drilling a hole in the fermenter...

Though I came in below OG numbers, I got to 1.010 on the FG and made up a bit of the difference. Looks to be near 5% though I was shooting for 5.5%ish. No matter. RDWHAHB. The hydrometer sample went into my glass. Nailed the flavor profile. Pretty darn happy with this. Was concerned about the spices being too heavy handed and/or the hop bitterness being lacking, but both were not issues.

Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...