1 down. 1 to go. Then 2 weeks.

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

1 down. 1 to go. Then 2 weeks.

Post by bpgreen »

I got my first shot today. Made my appointment for my second one shortly after I got home.

It was very well organized. Drive through. Never had to leave my car.

Mid to late April, I get back to the pool.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: 1 down. 1 to go. Then 2 weeks.

Post by mashani »

No drive through here, it's like a free for all / mayhem trying to get scheduled, but did manage to get #1 for me the other day as well. No side effects. Also looking forward to hitting the pool.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I got my first one a little more than 2 weeks ago and will have my second the end of March. Moderna so I'm expecting some side effects with #2.
I hope to get back to the gym by the end of May. My body desperately misses it even if my head hates working out.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Beer-lord wrote:I got my first one a little more than 2 weeks ago and will have my second the end of March. Moderna so I'm expecting some side effects with #2.
I hope to get back to the gym by the end of May. My body desperately misses it even if my head hates working out.
I had a slight headache last night, but it could have been a random headache unrelated to the vaccine. My arm is a little sore today, but not bad. In fact, I was going to lift weights this evening. Until I picked up the barbell and started to lift it to my shoulders. Decided to skip this session.

The side effects for the second shot seem to be all over the place. I've heard stories that Pfizer hits worse and have also heard that moderna hits worse.

Several of my neighbors have had both shots (I think both got Pfizer) and said their only side effect was a sore arm. But I know a lot of people plan on taking the next day off work no matter which one they get.

The rec center where I swim has been open since sometime late last spring or early summer. They're taking precautions like requiring masks except in the pool, etc. but I'm being cautious.

I've got free weights at home and a bike (set up a trainer during the winter). I've been adding running to the mix, but only so I can do triathlons. I'm not much of a runner.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Yesterday was the first day for me to be eligible. My wife sent me a text in the morning while I was in a meeting. She scheduled hers for the 29th, through her MyChart at OSU med center. Got out of my meeting 30 minutes later and all appointment were filled. Searched and searched and finally got one for April 6th. Ohio seems to be quite the mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

My wife got her second dose 3/11. She had mild symptoms, but weekend bedrest took care of it. I haven't been able to schedule an appointment, but I'm very low-risk, so I don't mind waiting. Since my wife is an elementary school teacher, she was a priority. I'll keep on trying, but if others need it more, I'll gladly take a back seat. The only reason I qualify is because I'm over 60. Other than that, there's no reason I should get in front of anyone who has a medical condition or is at a high-risk job.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

post Pfizer shot #1: mild fatigue
also; shortness of pants b/c it felt warm here today ...
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I was poking around on the internet yesterday and found some open appointments.....for today. They seem to pop up and disappear as quick as they appear. I was lucky enough to grab one. So the first shot is in the arm and the second dose is already scheduled. Better than waiting until April for the first dose, that appointment has been cancelled.

It’s getting warmer here, but I’m not sure I’ll have a case of shortness of pants just quite yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Moderna shot #1 ten days ago. Sore arm for a day, and mild chills the first night. :freeze:
Expecting more side effects with #2, as Moderna's trials showed about twice as high a rate of side effects as Pfizer (P under 5%, M more like 9%). I've heard chills mentioned a lot by Moderna folks. The fact that I got 'em from dose 1 makes me expect I'm likely to get them again from dose 2.
But, it sure as heck beats the alternative. ;)
Haven't been to the gym in over a year, after decades of almost never going more than a week between visits. Bought resistance bands last summer to get some semblance of a workout in, at home. Looking forward to rejoining a gym in early May!
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've only been walking daily (usually 15,000 plus steps a day) and it only makes my knees hurt more. The gym is happening soon for me. Shot #2 soon. Moderna too. I expect some pain but I'm fine with it. But us old folks don't seem to get the side effects younger ones do.
I have a Nordic Trak from the early 90's I started using again. I don't like it because it's boring. But, it helps.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Beer-lord wrote:... it only makes my knees hurt more.
:fedora:
I don't like it because it's boring.
:fedora:
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Beer-lord wrote:I've only been walking daily (usually 15,000 plus steps a day) and it only makes my knees hurt more. The gym is happening soon for me. Shot #2 soon. Moderna too. I expect some pain but I'm fine with it. But us old folks don't seem to get the side effects younger ones do.
I have a Nordic Trak from the early 90's I started using again. I don't like it because it's boring. But, it helps.
I miss swimming because of the low impact, but walking never really bothered me (although my step count is closer to 12,000.

Cycling is lower impact than walking. You might give that a try.

But if you start cycling and swimming, there's a danger that you'll realize that if you add running, you can do a triathlon.

On the bright side, if you keep exercising, you gain strength in the muscles around the knees, and the impact actually has sine benefits in building bone mass.

I've never liked running, but I'm trying to get to the point where I can run 10km by September because I signed up for an Olympic distance titration. The swim and bike portions don't concern me. I'm working up to longer runs after a string of injuries. I ran a total of 3.41 miles today (1 run off 2.36 and 1 of 1.05). I'l keep gradually increasing therre distance until I get to 6 miles. Then, maybe I can try to get a little faster.

If I ever get to the point where I can run 13 miles, I might try a half ironman. But swimming is my strongest sport, and swimming is *much* smaller proportionally in the half ironman than the Olympic distance. So if I di it, it'll just be so I can say I did it.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

1st dose Moderna today.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I'm not officially fully protected yet, but I read that the Pfizer vaccine is highly effective 2 weeks after the first shot, so I went back to the pool today.

Before covid, I was swimming 3000-3500 yards a day. Sometimes I'd just swim for an hour, but more often, I'd swim 500 yards, rest 15-30 seconds, repeat until the hour was up. I'd also sometimes swim 1650 yards without stopping in order to get an estimate for my time for 1500 meters (the distance of the swim in an olympic distance triathlon).

My plan for today was to swim 500 yards (100 at a time). I made it to 1400. I rested about a minute after each 100. Tomorrow, I'll try to do 14x125 yards. I'll increase gradually until I'm back to where I was before. I signed up for a sprint triathlon in May and estimated my time for 350 yards at 5:40. Based on my performance today, I've got some work to do to get there.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Got my second Moderna Wednesday. Yesterday afternoon I was feeling a bit tired and the arm pain increased. Fine today.
I'm going to get back to the gym in early or mid May and put this dad bod in younger dad bod mode if possible. At least the insides will be better off! :)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black