Milkshake IPA

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Milkshake IPA

Post by berryman »

The name never sounded appealing when heard others talk of it. After looking into it, just a NEIPA with lactose replacing oats. I have a pack of OYL-400 yeast I am going to try on a hef. Thought about making a 2 LT starter and pitching 1/2 in the hef and decanting and build another 2 LT for something else. Found this on Omega website. Thoughts?
https://omegayeast.com/banana-milkshake-ipa-recipe
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Milkshake IPA

Post by mashani »

I don't know never had one, seems like it would add a lot of body and sweetness (I guess that's the point), but not sure I want that in an IPA but who knows maybe it's delicious.

I've been having thoughts of making a chocolate banana stout with that yeast though. I think that would be nice. So who am I to judge LOL.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: I've been having thoughts of making a chocolate banana stout with that yeast though. I think that would be nice. So who am I to judge LOL.
That thought has also crossed my mind.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've only had one that I'd consider ok and just ok. It's not my jam but I get where it can be popular these days. I certainly don't want more than a few tastes. I just like beer and by beer, I mean old school beer mostly.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I don't know about the numbers on that recipe with 12 lb grain if could get .1080 but don't how much 2 lbs lactose would bring and on the bottom even with 154 mash if would be that high. it would be a fun but expensive experiment.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:I don't know about the numbers on that recipe with 12 lb grain if could get .1080 but don't how much 2 lbs lactose would bring and on the bottom even with 154 mash if would be that high. it would be a fun but expensive experiment.
2# of Lactose in 5 gallons would be 1.017 OG all by itself. It will also add 1.017 to the FG all by itself as it will not ferment at all with normal yeast. I think Beersmith is dumb and underestimates it's ppg contribution. It is sugar, and it will contribute the same as regular sugar, except it will not ferment out.

So with 12# of grain and an exactly 5 gallon (into the fermenter) volume and an efficient mash it could be 1.080. But it won't be any more alcoholic then the 12# of grain (1.063 or whatever) all by itself would have been. It will just be a lot sweeter and have the body of an imperial stout.

Normally when I add sugar to things it is to get the opposite effect. It's a Belgian thing LOL.

You could in theory use maltodextrin in place of the lactose it to get much of the body contribution with a lesser increase in perceived sweetness, or a mix of the two. Maltodextrin will slightly ferment (10-15%) depending on the yeast and sugar itself (maybe something like Bella Saison would chew it up much more then that but not most yeast, none of the kinds you would use in a beer like this), so it would result in a drier and slightly more alcoholic beer then with Lactose.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

This whole deal is just a thought on what I can do with the OYL-400 after I make a hef with it. I have the yeast and the hef is next, but I just did a brown Porter yesterday so I have a few more weeks before I even do that. I added up all the ingredients minus the yeast and would be close to $70. A lot of money for 5 gals that I don't know how good I would like.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison