Excess trub

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Richenbaum

Excess trub

Post by Richenbaum »

Currently doing some fruit ale and I had a taste yesterday to see if it was ready to bottle. Taste was good, though slightly sweet, so I think it probably needs another week, but more importantly I noticed a bit of sediment came out along with the liquid. So upon closer inspection my trub level is way high, up to right above the tap.

From what I've seen in the forums here it looks like my best plan of action here would be to prop up the fermenter on one side so the trub is angled below the tap line and then bottle? Is that correct?

Also is there anything I can do to avoid such heavy trub buildup in the future?
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Excess trub

Post by HerbMeowing »

imo ... best course of action would be racking the beer into a bottling 'bucket' and leave the trub behind.

mr beer's little brown keg is my fermentor.
i rack the beer into a second LBK ... then bottle.

pro tip: after racking to the bottling bucket .... collect the trub in a suitably size jar ... chill in the fridge overnight ... and recover enough wort to carbonate the batch ...
Last edited by HerbMeowing on Wed May 19, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

A good hack is to stick something like a book under the front of the LBK so the trub settles more towards the back.
Richenbaum

Post by Richenbaum »

I don't have an LBK, but I imagine the principle is still the same. Thanks guys.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Richenbaum wrote:I don't have an LBK, but I imagine the principle is still the same. Thanks guys.
What fermenter do you have?
RightHoJeeves

Post by RightHoJeeves »

Thanks for posting this, Richenbaum…. I got a recommendation elsewhere on this forum to 2x the amount of yeast in my Brewdemon recipe (the company recipes seem to undergun everything, from ingredients to time), and, it 2x’d the amount of trub…not all the way over the tap, but, I definitely have it leaking into my bottling…so I did what the other guy suggested: stuck a book under the front legs, gave it a day to settle back, and then, no problem. - Jeeves