Woe is me!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Woe is me!

Post by FedoraDave »

I'm trying to strike a good balance here at Fedora Brauhaus.

In an attempt to lose some weight and slim down, I'm making a serious effort to cut down on the beer drinking. Which means cutting down on the beer brewing. That's a juggling act worthy of the Ed Sullivan show in its heyday. But that's just a matter of time before I hit on the right schedule.

But we're also working on getting our kitchen redone. Completely redone, as in demolition down to the studs and a complete redesign. So I need to have the proverbial ducks in a row, beer-wise, for when that happens, because there will definitely be no brewing for a good portion of the summer, and stocking the pipeline will be essential.

So I'm feeling a squeeze to get as much brewing in as possible over the next month or two, maybe even resorting to bottling instead of kegging some batches, just to have an ace or two in the hole going down the road.

While I'll be grateful to have our 1920s kitchen upgraded, I still want home-brew throughout the summer. Gonna be a frantic few weeks, I guess.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Woe is me!

Post by HerbMeowing »

i hear one can buy beer at certain stores including gas stations and grocery stores.
you may just have to lower your standards until the fall ...
:fedora:
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

HerbMeowing wrote:i hear one can buy beer at certain stores including gas stations and grocery stores.
Not valid in Utah
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:
HerbMeowing wrote:i hear one can buy beer at certain stores including gas stations and grocery stores.
Not valid in Utah
Last time I tried to get 2 beers in Utah (outside of the private club used by the "bad" BYU students), I got looked at like I was devil spawn.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

mashani wrote:
bpgreen wrote:
Not valid in Utah
Last time I tried to get 2 beers in Utah (outside of the private club used by the "bad" BYU students), I got looked at like I was devil spawn.
Fortunately, I live the the debauched state of New York, where you can pretty much buy beer at Toys R Us (if it still existed).

I want to have home-brew on hand if I get invited anywhere, though. People who know me kind of expect me to bring at least a growler.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Aside from buying beer at the store, I would hope the people that know you and expect you to bring a growler would understand that your going through a major remodel, and this time it’s just not possible to bring a growler. And if they don’t understand that, well then.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Looks like you brew 3-5 gallons at a time.
Maybe stick with 2.5-3.0 gallon batches, then split between bottling and something like this, brewing as needed.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FedoraDave wrote: Fortunately, I live the the debauched state of New York, where you can pretty much buy beer at Toys R Us (if it still existed).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
bpgreen wrote:
Not valid in Utah
They've loosened that law a little. You can now buy two drinks (or a double). But a flight of beers is not allowed. They actually allowed them for a while, since the total amount of beer was less than what's included in two beers. But they later reinterpreted it and decided to count the glasses and decided flights of beer violated the two drink limit.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Yeah, I went to the supermarket today to pick up some bits and bobs, and had to buy a couple of sixes of commercial beer.

Fortunately, I know good beer from meh beer, and I got a six-pack of Oberon and six-pack of 2-Hearted Ale. :beer:

I could definitely do worse.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I have scaled back both my beer drinking and brewing for sometime now, seems like these days I brew to have something on hand for guests, or a get together. Summer is certainly the time I brew the least, sometimes it's just too busy and too hot. Anyway, sounds like a good time to brew some smaller batches, get more variety and easier to bottle. Might also be a good time to brew some styles that have good potential to age and think ahead of what styles you might have taste for in another 2,3 months...however long you are out of the kitchen.

Is there anywhere else to brew, are you a stove top brewer? Those little Mash and Boils/Digibrew/Brewzillas make things pretty sweet and easy to brew out in the garage or basement...then you can keep on keepin on!
Brew Strong My Friends...
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Yeah, I have to do stovetop. I've become accustomed to it, and I'm not going to spend any more money on brewing equipment, at least not right now.

I tend to brew less in the summer, also, since it's brutally hot and humid around here. But I do have extract batches I can make quickly, and that will keep the pipeline going a little. I should also make my saison, since the weather is really warming up.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

15-minute pale ales using DME would work well here. It's just like making an old HME brew, but allows for more control.

I can find that thread if you're interested.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

bpgreen wrote:
mashani wrote:
bpgreen wrote: Not valid in Utah
They've loosened that law a little. You can now buy two drinks (or a double). But a flight of beers is not allowed. They actually allowed them for a while, since the total amount of beer was less than what's included in two beers. But they later reinterpreted it and decided to count the glasses and decided flights of beer violated the two drink limit.
Where and how does this apply? I just went through Utah on my way to Yellowstone and stopped at a brewery in Heber City where I got a flight of 4 beers/tasters.

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Kealia wrote:Where and how does this apply? I just went through Utah on my way to Yellowstone and stopped at a brewery in Heber City where I got a flight of 4 beers/tasters.

I guess I haven't kept up to date on the changes in liquor laws. A new law was passed in 2019 and a flight is now legal as long as it is not more than 5% ABV and has a total of 16 fl oz or less (2 8 oz glasses, 4 4 oz glasses, 8 2 oz glasses, etc).

That may have been the same time they increased the amount of alcohol in beer sold in grocery stores from 3.2% ABW (4% ABV) to 5% ABV. The initial proposal was to increase to 6%. Ironically, the push to lower to 5% came from local breweries, because they thought the higher limit would lead to increased competition from national breweries.