Beer Does Not Clear!!!!

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RightHoJeeves

Beer Does Not Clear!!!!

Post by RightHoJeeves »

When I brew BrewDemon Pilsner, I have tried fermenting for as many as 10 days, then bottle conditioning for as long as a week, but, it always comes out cloudy (and tasting more like apple juice than beer). Do I need to ferment/bottle condition longer? How much longer? Or do I need to do something else?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Beer Does Not Clear!!!!

Post by mashani »

Apple Juice flavor = Acetaldehyde.

That means the yeast were not done cleaning up after themselves. They produce acetaldehyde as a fermentation byproduct, and if stressed by environmental conditions can produce even more. Also if eating cane sugar they will produce more as they have to produce an enzyme to split it, which is effectively extra work. Corn sugar (dextrose) can be eaten directly, so doesn't have this effect. When the yeast run out of other stuff to eat, they will uptake the acetaldehyde as "hibernation fuel". This will happen much faster if there is more yeast involved (IE leaving it in the fermenter longer). Once bottled, it will take much longer and/or maybe not ever get totally cleaned up.

So you didn't leave it in the fermenter long enough and/or perhaps are not fermenting in the optimal temperature range for the amount of time your leaving it there. (fermenting too cool = longer fermentation time required). The yeast provided works better at warmer temperatures (68-72) then it does at 64 or <. At 64 or < it throws off a lot more acetaldehyde. This varies by yeast type, but what it comes with is as I describe. Fermentation can be visibly "done" as in there is no activity and no gravity changes, but the yeast can still be uptaking the acetaldehyde and other fermentation byproducts. If you were to pull a hydrometer sample, and it tastes like green apple, then leave it alone for longer even if otherwise it seems done.

Anyways, as a general rule of thumb, with the amount of yeast provided in the kits, at the very least you need 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks in the bottle. 3 / 3 is likely even better. I generally only ferment 2 weeks but I pitch literally 3-4x as much yeast as is provided in those kits, so it gets done sooner with less stress / effort, and has more time to clean up.

I am an acetaldehyde super taster and I can tell you for sure if I brewed one of those kits with the provided yeast at 64 degrees, I would have to leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks or I would taste it.

More specific info / ideas perhaps if you can provide more details on fermentation temps, if you are brewing the recipe straight up or trying to increase ABV with sugar, etc.
RightHoJeeves

Post by RightHoJeeves »

Thanks Mashani…I will attempt to brew with greater patience. :lol: My temperature is right on grade, but, I’m only fermenting for 10 days and then drinking after 3-4 days. Will reply with results when I have them.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Another thing we sometimes forget to mention is to use 2 packs of that yeast. I was told that on the old MB forum long time ago and good solid advice and well worth it for the little added cost.. As far as clearing, after room temp in the bottle for a couple weeks to get your carb, fridge time should clear it, but if the apple is there it won't go away in the fridge. yeast is at sleep then.
Edit: One pack is the low minimum and will ferment your beer in time, but needs a little more to help it along.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
RightHoJeeves

Post by RightHoJeeves »

Okay…so, double the yeast, triple the fermentation time and quadruple the bottle conditioning time. Somebody ought to update the BrewDemon instructions. :?
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

RightHoJeeves wrote: Somebody ought to update the BrewDemon instructions.
I think what both Mr Beer and BrewDemon do is promote making beer in just a couple weeks as a selling point for new brewers, and you CAN make beer, but with a few added easy tricks you can make a lot better beer with the same kits, just will take a little longer.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison