Bottle sediment

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Dave

Bottle sediment

Post by Dave »

I hope someone can help me on this. I'm using the Brewdemon and I'm probably doing something wrong when bottling, but I'm getting sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Thanks for any help in advance.
Thanks
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Bottle sediment

Post by FrozenInTime »

How much sediment? I always have bottle or keg trub from my batches. One way to seriously reduce the amount you get in the end, and also helps clear the brew some, is place carboy in the refrigerator for a few days, I think I used to do 3 when I cared. I also kept enough bottles in the fridge that most would sit a couple weeks before I got to them. Those bottles, the trub pretty much has settled to the bottom and stays there unless you shake/stir the bottle.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

sediment in a bottled beer is called 'lees'. its mother is trub.
lees be barley flour ... the tiniest of hop ... and yeast both dead and alive.

keeping trub out of the bottle is but one goal of the brewing process.
less trub ==> better clarity ... better 'stability' ... and better is more better.

these are things i do to reduce lees in my finished product:
- leave as much trub behind when racking to fermentor
- bag the dry-hop addition
- rack only clear beer into the bottling 'bucket'
- let bottling bucket settle a few minutes before bottling
- chill bottles a minimum of 2 weeks
- as the final step; we cannot expect the best presentation by pouring servings ... we must handle the bottles gently -- so as not to rouse the lees -- and we must decant instead.

unless you filter ... there's no escaping the lees.

---
imo ... cold crashing is a yuge waste of time.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Dave wrote:I hope someone can help me on this. I'm using the Brewdemon and I'm probably doing something wrong when bottling, but I'm getting sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Thanks for any help in advance.
Thanks
If it wasn't clear from the others... you are *always* going to have some if you bottle carbonate with sugar. There is *no way* to not have any if you do that. The yeast gotta go somewhere when they run out of food to eat, and that's where they go.

Now if you have a hella lot, then what was mentioned above will help.

But you arn't going to drink out of the bottles without stirring it up, you need to pour into a glass if you want to not get it in the product you drink.

If this is unacceptable to you (fwiw, it should not be - some of the best beers in the world are bottle conditioned and have a layer of yeast on the bottom), but if it is, then you need to keg your beer and force carbonate it using CO2, and then use a bottling gun to push fully carbonated beer into bottles and cap them.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Not much I can add because all above is exactly right. You will always get some bottle trub when bottle prime and that is always going to happen. If it is too excessive, then the other stuff really helps. I use to give my friends at work my homemade and they liked it and would ask what i had next, but would always say pour in a glass, not drink from the bottle, you will like it way better.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison