Banjo-guy retur

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Banjo-guy retur

Post by Banjo-guy »

Hi all. I've been away and have sold off a lot of my brewing gear. It's amazing how much stuff I've acquired over the years! I was diagnosed with gout last year. One of the first items to eliminate from your diet is beer when you have gout.

At first I was really diligent with my diet, I stopped consuming all alcohol and tried to severely cut back in red meat consumption. I've gradually loosened up and basically drink an occasional beer. We never ate too much red meat so that dietary restriction was pretty easy to maintain.

One of the first signs of gout in many people is a red, swollen and sometimes very painful big toe joint. It can making walking really hard, I thought I had fractured something in my foot. The doctor took one look at my red toe and said " You have gout" The symptoms seem fairly easy to control with diet by increasing my water consumption ( in my case the symptoms have been reduced with dietary restrictions )

I'm getting the brewing bug again and will make a 5 gallon batch of oatmeal stout in the Mash and Boil. I need to remember how to brew. It's a little surprising how much I've forgotten in the last year. I figure a stout will keep for a longer time than an IPA. I could drink it gradually and give a lot away.

That's my story.

PS. For those interested. I've taken up a new hobby of building all tube, point to point guitar amplifiers. I've made a Dumble, Marshall and Fender amp. They all sound great and I haven't electrocuted myself yet!
Beer-lord

Re: Banjo-guy retur

Post by Beer-lord »

Glad to hear from you again. And, glad you are controlling your gout. I wish you better health going forward.

Interesting hobby. I am fine with amps. 1 transistor (Fender) and 1 tube (Egnator). I'd love to see pictures of your finished products if you care to share. Message me if you want and I'll send you my email address.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Good to hear from ya Banjo, sorry to hear about the gout. I know how painful that is because I have had it a few times, but not lately. I still drink a lot of beer and eat red meat. When you get it, it makes you want to chop your big toe off, that painful. Glad you still going to brew a little.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Nice to see you again. Hopefully you’ll be able to control the gout.

Take care of yourself, and stick around, even if you don’t brew much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Welcome back, and congrats getting the gout under control.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome back!
I don't have gout, but plenty of other dietary issues, some of which cause joint pain. Caution and moderation work for me.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Sorry about the gout, but I love old school tube amps and in the past built some of them and other tubey things.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Thanks for the welcome back messages!
I brewed an oatmeal stout a couple of days ago using the Mash and Boil. My mash temps and water volumes were really off.
I ended up with a 1.066 beer and the sample tasted great. I split the 5 gallon batch in 1/2 using 2.5 gallons with Safale 04 and the other half with Wyeast 1968. I'm fermenting at 65F. I'm curious to see how the two beers differ.
I'm really rusty but it was great to brew again.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Welcome back, Banjo.

My brother had gout a while back, but he's got it under control, and he enjoys a beer now and again. I think it helps to stay active, which he does. In any case, do what your doctor recommends; they're the experts.

Me, I have bad knees, but walking on the regular helps a lot.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch