#121: Citra Rye Ale... err... Lager

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

#121: Citra Rye Ale... err... Lager

Post by swenocha »

EDIT: Brewday on 1/30 and pitched my harvested Voss yeast, but found after a couple of days no activity. Finally realized my Brew Belt warming strap is no longer working and my temps were below 50 degrees. Hmm. Instead of trying to find alternate heating methods, I remembered I had some Mangrove Jack M84 (Bohemian Lager) yeast on hand, so decided to pitch that and just either harvest or buy new lager yeast for the actual lagers I had planned. A couple days later and I have a small krausen forming. RDWHAHB...

----
I had a lot of citra, some rye malt, some scraps of victory and carapils, and a can of Mr Beer Long Play IPA that I really don't remember where it came from, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw into a 5 gallon batch. Sounds like a rye IPA to me!

5 lbs 2 Row Malt - Malteurop
4 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Rye Malt
0.5 lbs Victory
0.5 lbs Cara Pils
1 can Mr Beer Long Play IPA

10 HBU Pellet Hop Pack (30 min)
1 oz Citra Hop Pellets (15 min)
1 oz Citra Hop Pellets (5 min)
1 oz Citra Hop Pellets (whirlpool)

Voss Kveik yeast
Mangrove Jack M84 (Bohemian Lager) yeast

OG: 1.062
Est FG: 1.015
Est ABV: 6.2%
Est IBU: 60
Est SRM: 12
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Beer-lord

Re: #121: Citra Rye Ale... err... Lager

Post by Beer-lord »

I wouldn't be surprised if that Voss goes nuts later when it warms up. I think under 65 it just goes dormant. I'm interested in where this goes.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

> 1 can Mr Beer Long Play IPA

Now that's one I never made.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Beer-lord wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if that Voss goes nuts later when it warms up. I think under 65 it just goes dormant. I'm interested in where this goes.
Yeah, should be interesting. I pulled the large amount of yeast that settled in the trub trap after I drew a hydro reading about five days in and the OG was still steady (though as noted the temps were well under the stated range). I assume that some yeast is still present, so I would think that both yeasts will be on hand. The german lager yeast (I assume) is chugging along now at 50 degrees. I am shifting to my normal lager pattern (2-3 weeks at 50ish, 3-5 days at 70 (this may be a problem unless I buy a new heating unit, but I think the external temps are going to cooperate), 2 weeks at 40 or below, keg) for now. I don't intend to do the diacetyl rest until my hydro readings are stable, but the Voss may indeed kick in at that point. A good experiment...

As for Long Play IPA... I really don't remember where it came from. I don't think it's from the Mr Beer winnings I had several years ago, but I can't put a finger on where it came from (unless I picked it up on clearance on a whim one day... maybe when All Seasons homebrew store was going out of business a year ago?). I had no thoughts/plans to go back to a 2 gallon batch and bottle, so I figured pitching it in the last 5 min of an all-grain day was my best use.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Ahh, it was from the going out of business sale at All Seasons hombrew store!

https://beerborg.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 39#p106639

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking: