Kegging Advice

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Kegging Advice

Post by Ricklust »

New to Kegging here:
After fermenting has finished and the beer (Märzen) is racked into a 5 gallon Keg for Lagering inside my Kegerator, should I pressurize the keg with a shot CO2 then remove the gas and just leave it sit until I tap it about a month later? What do others do?
Appreciate any advice.
Slainté ☘️
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Kegging Advice

Post by FrozenInTime »

After transferring to my kegs, I pressurize them with C02 for the level of carbonation that particular beer requires. I will put in a little shot while holding the bleeder valve open to purge out all the oxygen. Then I pressurize at the desired amount. If you bleed all the C02 out, the beer will be flat when served. Too little pressure and very little carbonation, too much it's like champagne. Look at the following site. Match the temp of keg storage to amount of C02 pressure to hit your desired bubblyness... LOL

https://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table/

That is assuming your not carbing with sugar. if so, then ignore the above.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Kegging Advice

Post by Ricklust »

FrozenInTime wrote:After transferring to my kegs, I pressurize them with C02 for the level of carbonation that particular beer requires. I will put in a little shot while holding the bleeder valve open to purge out all the oxygen. Then I pressurize at the desired amount. If you bleed all the C02 out, the beer will be flat when served. Too little pressure and very little carbonation, too much it's like champagne. Look at the following site. Match the temp of keg storage to amount of C02 pressure to hit your desired bubblyness... LOL

https://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table/

That is assuming your not carbing with sugar. if so, then ignore the above.
Do you keep the gas on the Keg and keep the Keg inside the Cooler? I only have 1 regulator and it’s hooked up the the "serving" Keg. If I give it a shot of 11 psi /CO2 periodically that will be absorbed into the cold beer. I guess I’m using the Keg as a secondary storage/fermenter.
Normally I would rack to a secondary vessel and just keep it around 38 degrees for 5 weeks without doing anything then add it to a bottling bucket primed with sugar and bottle it.
But now I have this kegerator and CO2 and trying not to ruin a 5 gallon Batch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slainté ☘️
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Once I have set pressure where I want it, I disconnect the line. If you have done a good job of sealing the o-ring, it will not leak down, unless you have a bad seal. I use food grade silicon on the o-ring, it allows it to seal tightly. If you wish, before you disconnect, and I do occasionally, use a spray bottle with a drip of dawn in the water and spray all the fittings/seals to make sure I don't have a leak. If I find a leak, I fix it, then remove the tank (and regulator) with the keg at desired pressure. Should have mentioned earlier, to check for good seal, after I flush out the oxygen, I will crank the regulator up to 30 PSI, it helps pop the seals tighter and makes it easier to detect a leak, remove the gas line, turn it down, let the high pressure out with the check valve after making sure there are no leaks, then re-pressurize to desired PSI. I lay a towel on the check valve when I let the high pressure out, it will spew out some liquid. Don't worry, just wipe that up then press on.

I also do a *shake and bake* as I call it but it is not necessary. I put the pressure on the line out QD. When it hits target of say, 18 PSI, I shake the keg. MAKE SURE you have purged before this step, you don't want your brew tasting like an old bandage... LOL I keep shaking, or rolling on the floor until it stops taking C02, you will hear it. Doing this, I can serve up a keg much quicker, you are force-force carbing the brew, if that makes sense. 3 days and I tap it, all carbed up. I only do this on a simple, light ale. Most brews I let bottle or keg condition for many months up to a year, depending on what I've made.

I must add, IF you do lose pressure during the keg conditioning/carb phase, it's no biggie. I've had some leak down, find it flat a couple months later and just hit it with C02, it will carb up and be just fine.
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

Thanks for the information. A fellow brewer brought me his regulator and I hooked up the Keg to 10 psi CO2. I will keep it pressurized for approx 5 weeks or until the other Keg runs out. I think this is referred to the "set and forget" method that someone mentioned me. (Berryman) I believe.
:cheers:
Slainté ☘️
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

There are three main ways to carbonate a keg. There's the "set it and foget it" approach, the "quick carb" approach, and the "natural carbonation" approach.

No matter which approach you take, you want to purge the keg first. Some people will fill a keg with CO2 before transferring the wort into the keg, but I take the approach that FiT takes. I crank up the pressure to about 30 PSI and release the valve a few times. As FiT mentioned, this also helps seal the keg.

I used to use the set and forget approach, but at some point, I decided that sugar is cheaper and easier to get than CO2 refills, so I started naturally carbonating. I just add a predetermined amount of sugar to the keg when I rack the wort into it. I hit it with 30# CO2 to set the seals and purge the O2, then let it sit for a few weeks.
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

Thanks BP;
I’ve read about adding sugar to the keg (about half the normal amount)(was wondering why half) and naturally carbonating. Is there any problem with sediment or clogs when using this method? Do you purge all the CO2 after the 30 lb seal? I assume the keg is kept at room temperature for carbonation. I would definitely like to try this method too.
Slainté ☘️
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I don't remember using half the normal amount. I don't remember how I came up with the amount I'm using because I've been doing it this way for years. I think it may have included some trial and error.

I do keep it at room temperature to carbonate. Actually, I keep it at room temperature until the keg on tap is almost empty. I then put it in the kegerator so it's the right temperature when I tap it.

The first pour will often have sediment in it. I just set it aside and let it settle, then try to carefully pour the beer from that glass (similar to pouring from a naturally carbonated bottle).

I do purge the co2. That's the purpose of releasing the valve a few times.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Ricklust wrote: I hooked up the Keg to 10 psi CO2. I will keep it pressurized for approx 5 weeks \
That will work but I must ask, what temp will keg be sitting at? 10PSI will be extremely low on carbonation. My storage room sits year round ~54f, for ale, I set ~18psi, wheat which I do alot of, ~24psi. Ciders ~20psi unless still, then I just purge oxy then release all C02.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Set and forget works for me in about 7 days @10 psi, @ 36 degs but a few more days is always better carb. If not in a hurry to tap and a lager, let it sit until when want to tap will be better on that. I have a maibock lager going now on co2 and cold. would like to wait until around first of May to tap, we will see if I can go that long :) Ready to drink now, but haven't put the out to it yet.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

FrozenInTime wrote:
Ricklust wrote: I hooked up the Keg to 10 psi CO2. I will keep it pressurized for approx 5 weeks \
That will work but I must ask, what temp will keg be sitting at? 10PSI will be extremely low on carbonation. My storage room sits year round ~54f, for ale, I set ~18psi, wheat which I do alot of, ~24psi. Ciders ~20psi unless still, then I just purge oxy then release all C02.
The temp in the kegerator where I’m keeping is a 40 degrees. I hooked it up to 10 psi and don’t plan on tapping for another month or longer. Hopefully it’s just Lagering and mellowing

Slainté ☘️
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

bpgreen wrote:I don't remember using half the normal amount. I don't remember how I came up with the amount I'm using because I've been doing it this way for years. I think it may have included some trial and error.

I do keep it at room temperature to carbonate. Actually, I keep it at room temperature until the keg on tap is almost empty. I then put it in the kegerator so it's the right temperature when I tap it.

The first pour will often have sediment in it. I just set it aside and let it settle, then try to carefully pour the beer from that glass (similar to pouring from a naturally carbonated bottle).

I do purge the co2. That's the purpose of releasing the valve a few times.
I’ve read where using half the amount of sugar will keep it from being very foamy/over carbonated. My guess is that CO2 will eventually be hooked up to the Keg and carbonating the beer even more.
(just a guess). Hmm

Slainté ☘️
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote:
That will work but I must ask, what temp will keg be sitting at? 10PSI will be extremely low on carbonation. My storage room sits year round ~54f, for ale, I set ~18psi, wheat which I do alot of, ~24psi. Ciders ~20psi unless still, then I just purge oxy then release all.
I think temp plays a big part in carb on co2, it only use so much gas until equals out at set pressure and then balanced, then more to keep it that level and push to the glass.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

berryman wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:
That will work but I must ask, what temp will keg be sitting at? 10PSI will be extremely low on carbonation. My storage room sits year round ~54f, for ale, I set ~18psi, wheat which I do alot of, ~24psi. Ciders ~20psi unless still, then I just purge oxy then release all.
I think temp plays a big part in carb on co2, it only use so much gas until equals out at set pressure and then balanced, then more to keep it that level and push to the glass.
Was Reading about foam problems some were having from their Tap
One problem was where the colder the keg was kept the more CO2 is absorbed into the liquid resulting in more foam being dispensed. It said you never want to go under 38 degrees. A lot of Beer styles are served at 40 degrees or a little higher. (I keep a gallon jug of water in the box to get an accurate temperature of the beer inside the keg.
Cheers [emoji482]

Slainté ☘️
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Ricklust wrote: the colder the keg was kept the more CO2 is absorbed into the liquid
Yes, this is all something you can calculate using gas law formulas if you want.

This doesn't just affect kegging, if you bottle carbonate, depending on how cold your wort is coming out of the fermenter there can be more or less CO2 already in solution, and that should be taken into consideration if you are trying to perfectly match a style. It is why carbonation calculators often ask what temperature the wort is.