refractometer

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

cheech226

refractometer

Post by cheech226 »

i'm looking at getting one. i see they are great for og, but require calculation for a true fg. i'm not interested in finding abv. but would like to avoid hydrometer wastage. if i maintained a consistent readings, say after 3 weeks in the fermenter, taken for 3 days would that indicate fermentation was over?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: refractometer

Post by mashani »

Yes, it should still work for that purpose, but after 3 weeks in the fermenter it's likely done anyway, and I wouldn't even bother if I was leaving it that long.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Another suggestion to avoid hydrometer waste and multiple samples:

After you pull your hydrometer sample, continue to check that same sample. Just treat it like a mini fermenter. What I mean is, take your sample, get the reading, then remove the hydrometer from the wort/beer. Cover the tube with a piece of foil, or paper towel, then check it again a few days later. This will avoid you pulling multiple samples from the fermenter. When I was doing small batches, I tested this many times (pulling a new sample versus checking a single sample many times) and the results were always the same in terms of matching gravity.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

i don't bother no'mo with my refractometer.
OG readings seldom jived with the hydrometer.

imo ... drawing a hydro-sample from a 2G kit to check its FG is an unnecessary waste.
as mashani notes ... most recipes be ready to bottle after 3 weeks in the fermentor ...
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Kealia wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:30 pm Another suggestion to avoid hydrometer waste and multiple samples:

After you pull your hydrometer sample, continue to check that same sample. Just treat it like a mini fermenter. What I mean is, take your sample, get the reading, then remove the hydrometer from the wort/beer. Cover the tube with a piece of foil, or paper towel, then check it again a few days later. This will avoid you pulling multiple samples from the fermenter. When I was doing small batches, I tested this many times (pulling a new sample versus checking a single sample many times) and the results were always the same in terms of matching gravity.
Genius!

In retrospect, somewhat obvious, but genius nonetheless.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

bpgreen wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:46 pm
Kealia wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:30 pm Another suggestion to avoid hydrometer waste and multiple samples:

Genius!

In retrospect, somewhat obvious, but genius nonetheless.
Right?!?! I can't even take credit for the idea as I recall reading about it somewhere a long time ago. I had the same :idea: moment.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

You could also use this like a low tech tilt to tract the progress along the way, would have to remove the hydro and cover to keep the wild things out, and would have to keep at the same temp as the fermenter.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
cheech226

Post by cheech226 »

genius! simple and easy solution.