Stirring

Recipes based on BrewDemon Extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Spaz

Stirring

Post by Spaz »

Do I need to stir during the fermentation process?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Stirring

Post by John Sand »

No, the yeast will find everything they want to eat. And when they get really active they will stir the wort.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Spaz

Post by Spaz »

Thank you, I have been stressing over it cause I’m on my 3rd recipe and just bottled my first one Sunday but the other 2 don’t seem to be as active. I’m thinking it will be fine it just got me wondering.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

With practice you'll become more comfortable with the whole process. But all of us still have questions.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

John has you covered, sometimes just starting out the directions can be confusing. Stir hard before you put the yeast in (pitch) to get good aeration for the yeast to grow and work, if want can stir a little after yeast is in but not needed, after that is just a waiting game until it's done. No matter how you brew, how it works.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

the only time you might consider stirring is with a 'stuck' fermentation but that's a tale for another day ...
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Spaz

Post by Spaz »

Thank you to all, I’m3 weeks out from cracking my first one open but I will keep you updated.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'll add, opening the lid to stir will introduce oxygen into your (fermenting/fermented) beer which is undesirable.

Don't use visible krausen (foam) or bubbles in an airlock as proof of fermentation occurring. If you have some trub settling at the bottom of your fermenter, you're in good shape.

It's pretty rare that wort won't ferment, really.

And good for you for having patience to wait for your first beers to be ready - it's hard!
Spaz

Post by Spaz »

Kealia wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:56 am I'll add, opening the lid to stir will introduce oxygen into your (fermenting/fermented) beer which is undesirable.

Don't use visible krausen (foam) or bubbles in an airlock as proof of fermentation occurring. If you have some trub settling at the bottom of your fermenter, you're in good shape.

It's pretty rare that wort won't ferment, really.

And good for you for having patience to wait for your first beers to be ready - it's hard!

Thanks it’s hard, but everything I have read on here says it’s worth the wait. I’m doing 2 week ferment with a 4 week boring time.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FYI, if you for some reason do need to "rouse" the yeast back into suspension, gently rocking your fermenter side to side is much better idea then actually taking off the lid and stirring. Adding oxygen at that point is "bad" as Kealia mentioned. Even doing what I said, you do not want any "splashing", just gentle movement.

That said, you *really* should not have to do this pretty much ever, unless you use some very specific yeast strains, none of which are available in dry yeast.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

"... gently rocking your fermenter [sic] side to side is much better idea then actually taking off the lid and stirring" may be the CW; however ... on occasion when brewing a barleywine ... i've stirred to rouse the yeast without ill fx.

the expose to O2 is really no different that racking to a 2ndary ...

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

HerbMeowing wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:17 pm "... gently rocking your fermenter [sic] side to side is much better idea then actually taking off the lid and stirring" may be the CW; however ... on occasion when brewing a barleywine ... i've stirred to rouse the yeast without ill fx.

the expose to O2 is really no different that racking to a 2ndary ...
Unless making sours that have to age for a 6+ months, I think racking to a 2ndary is stupid and useless 99% of the time, and not just because of the oxygen introduction.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

racking to a 2ndary is not at all stupid if you're brewing a fruit beer ...

Spaz

Post by Spaz »

What is racking to a secondary?
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

racking to a 2ndary means transferring the beer from the primary fermentor to a second fermentor.

back in the day this was SOP b/c of fears about autolysis (off-flavors from decaying yeast) and the belief it produced clearer beer but it is no longer standard practice unless you're making a fruit beer or apparently when 'souring'. some would also do it when adding oak.

there's a small risk of oxidation during the transfer but not much of a concern if done 'quietly' ... i.e., no bubbles or splashing.
Last edited by HerbMeowing on Tue May 24, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.