2 week foam cap

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

cheech226

2 week foam cap

Post by cheech226 »

i'd like some advice here. 2 weeks ago i brewed bd brown ale with the addition of 1 pack of mb smooth lme. i pitched ~7g. of us-05 yeast in my 2 gal of wort at ~62F. i've been holding the fermentation temp at from 63-65F. i took about 48 hrs to get an active fermentation. now after 2 weeks i still have a thin foam cap in my lbk. i've never seen the foam persist for this long. i've brought the temp up to about 67F for the last 36 hrs. am i ok here? i had planned to dry hop tomorrow for about 6 days then bottle. the persistent foam is something i've never experienced. but i've never held temps this low.
any thoughts or advice?
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: 2 week foam cap

Post by HerbMeowing »

they're yeast islands.
not at all uncommon and they'll do no harm.

dry hop away!
:fedora:
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Them temps. Will easily work on
Us-05. I do it all the time. 66-70 is it’s happy spot. Some claim can have some off flavors that low but all I get is clean beer. I usually dry hop 3-5 days but have been longer when didn’t
Have time to bottle.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
cheech226

Post by cheech226 »

thanks for easing my mind brewers! the foam is gone. i think bringing the temp up a bit may have helped. in any case, my hops have been added and i plan to bottle on 8/8.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

cheech226 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:02 pm thanks for easing my mind brewers! the foam is gone. i think bringing the temp up a bit may have helped. in any case, my hops have been added and i plan to bottle on 8/8.
How did bottling go?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, I have bottled some beers where I've used a true top cropping yeast from under nearly 1/2" of remaining krausen. They were done, it's just that the krausen never really fell because some of those yeasts it's really quite dense and takes forever to actually fall.
cheech226

Post by cheech226 »

my bottling went well. and the ale tasted pretty darn good after fermenting. with my last 2 batches i was very careful with temp control during fermentation. i've learned with doing that, less bottle conditioning is needed to obtain a good tasting ale. my ale has been in the bottle 9 days now at ~66f. i plan to taste one after 3 weeks. thanks again for all the info.