Wicked IPA

Recipes based on BrewDemon Extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

duntzm

Re: Wicked IPA

Post by duntzm »

I am brand new to home brewing with my 2G brewdemon (only two batches in). I really like IPAs and I want to try this recipe, but I don't understand the timings/instructions that would be associated with these ingredients. Would anyone be willing to break this down for a newbie?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome aboard Duntzm!
Brewing instructions are often given in a countdown format, starting from the beginning of the boil, counting down to the end. So the 35 minute hop addition would be added soon after the boil started, with 35 minutes remaining. The 20 and 10 minute additions would be added with that much time left. A dry hop is added in the fermenter, usually after it slows or stops fermenting.
HMEs, (Hopped Malt Extracts) like Wild Spirit generally are not boiled, but added at the end. So for this recipe I would steep the grains (carapils and crystal 20) in a bag in 160 degree water for 15 minutes, then pull the bag. Add the DME (Dry Malt Extract) and stir it in. bring to a boil, watching the foam and stirring or turning down the heat to prevent boil over. After the foam settles down (Hot Break) you can start timing your hop additions. Cool it when the boil is over and add to your fermenter as usual. He doesn't list the volume for this recipe, but maybe one of the others will chime in. Good luck, keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

duntzm wrote:I am brand new to home brewing with my 2G brewdemon (only two batches in). I really like IPAs and I want to try this recipe, but I don't understand the timings/instructions that would be associated with these ingredients. Would anyone be willing to break this down for a newbie?
See if this makes sense...

Take these two grains (crushed) and steep them in more water then you would normally use for mixing up your brew demon cans, gallon of some hot (150-160 degree or so) water for 30 minutes. More because the grains will soak up a bit and some water will boil off. Don't stress about it too much you can always add more water later. It would help to know how much water boils off over 35 minutes in your pot, you would want to start with that much MORE water then normal, plus a little bit for the grains soaking it up.

.25 lb Carapils steeped
.25 lb 20L steeped

Remove the grains and keep the "tea" you just made.

Add 1 lb amber DME to this and bring it to a boil. The DME will turn into sticky marshmallow like blobs on top of the water at first, just keep stirring until they dissolve, they will dissolve fully when heating it up.

Your boil will be 35 minutes long. Add this right away.

Boil .25 oz Simcoe for 35 min

15 minute later, add this:

.25 oz Citra 20 min

10 minutes later add this:

.25 oz Cascade 10 min

After 10 more minutes turn off the heat, add your cans of Brew Demon extract, and then add to cold water in your fermenter as normal directions suggest.

When it's cool enough pitch this yeast:

S-05 yeast

About 3-4 days from whenever you are going to get around to bottling it, throw in this (right into your fermenter)

.25 oz cascade dry hop
JimTheBeerDrinker

Post by JimTheBeerDrinker »

Hey fellas Im JimTheBeerDrinker and Im looking for information about the discount from Brew Demon
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

JimTheBeerDrinker wrote:Hey fellas Im JimTheBeerDrinker and Im looking for information about the discount from Brew Demon
Welcome.
Here's a thread that tells how to get the discount: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=583
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Hi Jim! Welcome aboard! What are you brewing?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.