2 brewdemon fermenters

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mregione

2 brewdemon fermenters

Post by mregione »

not sure if this has been asked or not, I didn't find anything on it. how would you go about splitting a five gallon kit between two brewdemon fermenters?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: 2 brewdemon fermenters

Post by bpgreen »

I don't think I've actually done it, but I think it's pretty straightforward. Basically, just follow the process add usual up to the point where you get ready to put the wort into the fermenter. At that point, split the wort as evenly as possible between the two smaller fermenters. If your pot is too small to do a full volume boil and you're going to top off with water, if you split the wort unevenly, you might end up with one fermenter slightly higher in ABV than the other, but it probably won't be noticeable.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: 2 brewdemon fermenters

Post by mashani »

I split between 2 or even 3 Coopers fermenters all the time. Just brew the entire batch, and then based on expected final volume I fill one fermenter with a little bit less than what I think half or 1/3rd the batch will be, and then fill the other(s) with the same. If there is more left over I just go back and forth until it's gone and both are as even as possible. My fermenters have liter markings, I use them as a reference point for this. My mash & boil leaves about 1/2 gallon at below the spigot. Often that is mostly trub and hop matter that has sunk to the bottom, but there is always still at least a little bit more wort there, so if I screw up a little bit I can usually coax enough more out to "fix" it if I need to. Note that fixing it is only necessary if I'm brewing something that I intend to top up a bit to gain more volume with lower gravity post boil. Usually that would only apply to my 3-way splits, because when I do that I'm usually brewing a concentrated wort with the intent of topping up. If it's not even in a 2 way split without topping up it really doesn't matter, one fermenter may have terminal yeast growth and kick off active fermentation at a slightly different time, that's all.

I would normally use an entire pack of yeast per fermenter, because I pitch at high pitch rates for most things these days. But you can "eyeball" split a pack if you want, just go back and forth between the two a little at a time. It won't be perfect, they may turn out ever so slightly different if your pitch rates are really far off somehow (IE you oops and dump 3/4ths a pack into one and 1/4th into the other) but it will still make beer.