Cracked spigot...

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Richenbaum

Cracked spigot...

Post by Richenbaum »

Just finished prepping a batch only to find the spigot has a little crack on it that now has a slow leak.

I do not have anything else I could transfer this batch into. Obviously will have to get a new spigot, but anyone got any suggestions for patching this so I don't have to waste this whole batch? Will probably have to dump this whole thing if I can't figure out a solution by the end of tonight... :(
Richenbaum

Re: Cracked spigot...

Post by Richenbaum »

Welp...time was running out so I had to get creative. Was able to seal it off with some plumber's putty. Whether this will have any negative effects on the brew or not...I guess we'll find out in a few weeks...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm glad you found a solution. Those spigots are a weak point, I've had failures and leaks. I have fermented a small batch in a 12 qt stainless pot with a lid.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Richenbaum

Post by Richenbaum »

Yeah this is the 2nd one I've had crack in the exact same spot. Last time I was lucky enough that it happened after finishing a batch.

Still not sure if this is gonna work out. It held well the first few days, but now I'm having to patch it every few hours because new leaks just keep coming. Luckily this is a basic brew and only need 2-4 more days in there, but it seems to be getting slowly worse. Hopefully can keep it together til Tuesday at least...
Richenbaum

Post by Richenbaum »

Well...good news is it actually did hold up enough to last. Slowed the leak down enough that no significant amount was lost.

Bad news is now that it's finished it's not outright spoiled, but the flavor has definitely noticeably been affected. It pretty much tastes like glue now and I'm just gonna have to dump this batch after all.

So...don't try this at home, kids. Not a very good idea after all. Oh well.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Obviously, it is overly oxidized. Sorry that happened. Going forward, if you are dedicated to brewing, you might look into getting fermenting equipment that is a bit more durable but more costly.
We live and learn, right? The next beer may be your best.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

If you want to stick with the fermenter you have, you might be able to find a better spigot that you could make work.
https://www.morebeer.com/search?search=bucket+spigot
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison