Carbonation Questions

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Brockleigh

Carbonation Questions

Post by Brockleigh »

The set-up I have is a 2-gallon BrewDemon conical fermenter. I've been using the Coopers kits as of late (they're easiest to get in my area), and the usual timing is three weeks in the fermenter, two weeks for bottle carbonation, and at least a week for bottle conditioning in the fridge. I have a mix of 16oz and 32oz plastic bottles

Coopers says to use the their Carbonation Drops, but my local merchant doesn't carry them, and as I use smaller bottles than what the drops are sized for, I'd have to segment them. I understand that they're mainly just compressed sugar, so I figure I'm not missing much by not using them.

The question therefore is how much sugar to use in each bottle? The Coopers instructions don't obviously say, and the BrewDemon instructions are for their kits. They say to use 1 tsp. of white granulated sugar for the 16oz bottles and 2½ tsp. for the 32oz bottles. Is that a proper amount for general brewing or particular to their brew kits?

I also have powdered dextrose on hand, and from what I understand that's better for brewing than white granulated sugar anyways. If I'm using that, would it still be 1 tsp. for the 16oz bottles and 2½ tsp. for the 32oz bottles?