Hello, First Time Posting. BrewDemon setup for non-alcoholic

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Shaun543

Hello, First Time Posting. BrewDemon setup for non-alcoholic

Post by Shaun543 »

Hello All,

I just purchased and made my first batch of brew with the BrewDemon system. I was bigger into home brew previously and got out of it and sold all my equipment off. I bought the BrewDemon to get into it easier then with large 5 gal batches. I will be making all my brew non-alcoholic as I am a recovering alcoholic myself and am disappointed with the N/A options (or lack there of) out there. So I figured I would get back into brewing and make them myself. Has anyone out there done any N/A brews?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Hello, First Time Posting. BrewDemon setup for non-alcoh

Post by mashani »

It can be difficult to make good tasting NA beers because all the mechanisms of removing the alcohol have a flavor impact, especially to hops or any other volatile flavor/aroma compounds, and if you are naturally carbonating instead of kegging and force carbing, you will end up with a small amount of alcohol anyways. (< 0.5%, but there will be some).

This is probably one of the better articles out there about the ways to try it.

https://byo.com/article/brew-a-great-no ... olic-beer/

I would suggest starting with something like an English Mild, or maybe a Dry Irish Stout - they have a lot of flavor, a lot of body for the low gravity, and not a lot of alcohol to start with, and they are not hop flavor/aroma driven which is the biggest problem.

If you want hop flavor/aroma driven N/A beers, I think the best way would be to get kegs, force carb and then keg hop the snot out of it. You are going to want to keep it cold after the hops are added. Without the alcohol, the PH on its own isn't low enough to keep infection from happening if the hops come with any "goodies".

If bottling, is also very important to be sure you sanitize everything that will touch your beer at bottling time, even more so then normal because of this.

Hop oils that contain flavor/aroma compounds still (not just AAU injector kinds) could also be an option.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome aboard!
Mashani is a great source of knowledge, he has helped a lot. I haven't brewed any NA, but I've thought about it. Keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Dropping by to extend a welcome!
I’ve not brewed a NA beer myself, but this is a good read through.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Welcome to the Borg. I've never made a NA beer either, so I'll just say HI and WELCOME.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck