Brewin' in the Backyard?

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gomorrah_Dawn

Brewin' in the Backyard?

Post by Gomorrah_Dawn »

Hey folks, I'm Gomorrah Dawn and I'm a brewbie! I just started this month and I'm already addicted. The problem is, I don't have enough room in my unit for all the stuff. I'm considering whether to get a tough shed type thing and move the works to the backyard. However, I'm concerned about temperature regulation. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but it can get pretty damned cold here at night sometimes. Anyone have experience insulating those sheds or the beer works to keep it temp safe?

Many thanx!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Brewin' in the Backyard?

Post by John Sand »

I haven't tried it outdoors. I have used my basement many times. While it's warm in the summer (over 70) and cool in winter (under 60) the temperature is consistent day to night. You could try using a cooler in the shed, which will lessen temp swings. You could then add ice packs or hot water bottles as necessary.
Welcome aboard, good luck, keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

First, welcome to BeerBorg! I'm glad you found us.

Brewing outside shouldn't be an issue, I think what you're looking for is maintaining fermentation temperatures for your beer once you've brewed it. If you get a shed of some type adding a temperature controlled fermentation chamber would be a good solution. This can be an old fridge or freezer with an Inkbird or other brand temp controller. The temp controller can control both heating and cooling. Depending on how cold "pretty damned cold" is you should be able to ferment without any issues.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Gomorrah_Dawn

Post by Gomorrah_Dawn »

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm currently looking at sheds and shopping for brewing toys, so once it's all straightened out I'll let folks know how it shakes out and post pics :thanks:
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Welcome to The Borg A brew shed is a great idea if limited on space in the house, I know a few that brew in one. My experience with outdoor sheds and I have a few of them, the temps can do a lot of changing between daytime and nighttime. Not knowing your brew system or how far you want to go you will most likely need some sort of temperature control. I brew in my basement and the temp stays close to the same all the time.. Keep us posted.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison