Yeast Question

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

11bcollins11

Yeast Question

Post by 11bcollins11 »

Still a bit of a freshman brewer, sticking to the starter kits with BD and the like.

Problem: I have a BrewFerm Flemish Fiend kit but I lost the yeast.

Question: What kind of yeast should I use, and how much? – this is a 3 gallon recipe.

Their Flemish (brown) Fiend uses their brand of yeast called Union Yack, with these details below (not sold separately).

160.110.3 Brewferm Buckriders Craft Brew Mix Flemish Fiend P050.851.5 Union Yack

Brewferm Buckrider
Yeast Union Yack

Temp.range 15-25

Attenuation low

Alcohol tolerance medium

flocculation medium

Flavor profile fruity

Any translation the Borg can provide? Recommendations? THANK YOU
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Yeast Question

Post by FrozenInTime »

Never used that yeast but if you have not brewed it yet, order more yeast. If you have, I use US-05 as a backup for most brews.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Yeast Question

Post by mashani »

Union Jack is the same yeast that goes with their Stout and Porter and other dark English style beers.

Since it specifically says "fruity", if you want a dry yeast choice that is likely close, so I would suggest a more flavorful English style dry yeast, like Lallemand Windsor, or Lallemand London ESB. Both also fit the attenuation and flocculation classification of the intended yeast more closely, especially the London ESB.

S-04 will flock out more and attenuate more, and be cleaner tasting (not so fruity). US-05 will be middle of the road from a flocculation standpoint, but will not provide any real "fruity" flavors at all, and likely give you a very mild, if not boring beer (maybe not to a BMC beer drinker, but I would think it was boring compared to its namesake) that is nothing at all even remotely like a Flemish brown. The low attenuation of the ones I suggested and their original yeast included will keep the level of perceived bitterness lower and give you more body. Using S-04 or US-05 will increase the bitterness and give you a bit less body. Lallemand London ESB fermented warmish will give you stone fruit (like Plum) esters, which would be good in such a beer. (ignore any "bad reviews" of London ESB you see on the internet, they were written by people who bought the wrong yeast for their purposes and are whining about it not fermenting out their beer as much as they wanted... but *that is what it is meant to do* they just are stupid people who think attenuation is the only thing that matters. It is a great yeast for the right kind of beer).

Not that this will really be exactly like a Flemish brown regardless because it's impossible. My bet is they are using the "fruity" yeast to get some character like a real Flemish brown would have after the sour bugs (which you are not using in that kit) work on it for a year and it gets some oxidation (which you are not going to get because your not going to let it sit for a year). A real Flemish brown has sherry like flavors because of those things. They obviously are not going to ask a canned kit brewer to do those things.