Honey Cider

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Honey Cider

Post by FrozenInTime »

I've not brewed in a good 8-9 months. After 3-4 years of little/no apples on our trees, this year I was able to pick enough to make 13 gallons of cider. Yesterday I filled 2 carboys with 5 gallons each and discovered, although I had a feeling, the packets of cider yeast are pretty much dead. One carboy acted like it was going to take off, today, silent. I ordered some fresh yeast last night, hope the cider does not spoil by the time the yeast gets here. I think I will try to put the carboys in the fridge til it gets here. For the 10 gallons of cider, I mixed in 6 pounds (2 bags) of table sugar. After fermentation is done, I will kill the remaining yeasties and mix in some honey to taste (along with some lactose) to make Honey Hard Cider. I've done this for years, comes out pretty good.

I also ordered a Mosiac IPA all grain kit. I've done those, for an IPA, it's pretty darn good.
Opps, messed up and ordered an extract kit darn it. Oh-well.
Last edited by FrozenInTime on Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Honey Cider

Post by FrozenInTime »

Just checked FG... I guess it has been a while since I've done cider. It comes in at 10.25%. That is a ... little higher than I wanted. I have a feeling I should have checked the grav BEFORE I dumped in that much sugar. The oldish yeast I used dropped it down to .998.... I checked the hydrometer, it's accurate. Started out at 1.076 so if my math is right... it's NOT going to be a session drink, more a small tankard at a time.

I'll let it sit another week or so, transfer it to a fresh carboy and start killin yeasties. After a test to make sure the yeasties have laid down to a permanent sleep, I'll mix in some lactose and start mixing in honey to reach desired taste. I like'um a little on the sweet side, I think I'll do the honey flavoring first so I don't over-sweetin them. I'm going to have 10 gallons of this cider, with the very little drinking I'm now doing, it *might* last me quite a while. I usually let my cider condition in keg for a year.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I've only brewed a few ciders, but they all came out pretty strong. I first bought one at the liquor store. Everything is sold by the individual can or bottle at the liquor stores here (anything above 5% abv is sold at the state run liquor stores). It's kind of annoying when you buy a six pack, because they ring it up as 6 individual items, but it's nice when you want to buy a mixer sixer, or just one of something to see if you like it before making a 5 gallon batch.

So after trying one, I made a 5 gallon batch. When I kegged it, I started another. I think I might have made 3 or 4 batches (all about 10-12%) before tapping the first one. It didn't take long to discover that I liked cider well enough to have one every once in a while, but I didn't really like it well enough to have that as what was on tap all the time. I think I eventually disconnected it and just hooked up the picnic tap. Took a long time to work through all those kegs (but I'm not one to let something go to waste).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I have made a couple of malted hard ciders using 2 row and trader joes mulling spiced cider, and a tiny bit of hops (like 7AAU). Those came out great, I would do it again.

: now has urge to go to Trader Joes :
TwistedTail

Post by TwistedTail »

Sounds like your sugar formula was a we bit off but hopefully you have recovered. Honey Cider is something I plan on trying next. I just bottled 2 gallons of Apple / Cherry Hard Cider that is almost ready to pop the top.
Best of luck…
Mockewpie

Post by Mockewpie »

I've been experimenting with different natural foods in fermentation, and honey always brings a very unique flavor to the mix. If you want more options for natural ingredients in your brews, check out this natural foods company. They have things like unrefined sugars or alternative sweeteners which can give your cider a nice twist without relying on too much processed stuff.