Hop picking Day

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

oly
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: Hop picking Day

Post by oly »

Nice. I waited too long to pick mine again. Biggest crop yet (probably about 10 lbs wet, 2 ounces dry), but they were full of spider mites. Again. Next year I have to get my fat ass out a little earlier.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

One of my homebrew club brothers has too many hops, not enough time. Invitation to come take the bines with hops away before they are unusable. Willamette, Cascade, Goldau, Tettnang and a little Hallertau. The plan is to go over there next weekend and cut some bines down and bring them home and brew up a batch with wet hops, dry the rest.
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.84 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Rebel_B wrote:Willamette, Cascade, Goldau, Tettnang and a little Hallertau. The plan is to go over there next weekend and cut some bines down and bring them home and brew up a batch with wet hops, dry the rest.
Nice score and nice selection!

When cutting the bines make sure to remove all the cones and toss them in the fridge or freezer immediately. We've had bines in cold storage at 38F start composting over night. Its amazing how much heat they could put out with it being that cold. Most of the professional brewers will brew with the fresh immediately. Unless making a single hop brew, most will use pellets for bittering, flavoring, and sometimes aroma and leave the fresh for aroma and dry hopping since you have to use so much more when wet.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company