Brewery names....what's your story?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Brewery names....what's your story?

Post by swenocha »

philm00x wrote:swen-oh-kuh (like cousin)? Now that you mentioned it's derived from Mocha, and that's pronounced with the K sounding Ch.
This, though it really doesn't matter...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
k9dude

Post by k9dude »

Soon after I started brewing my wife was asking me what I was going to call my brewery. Now most of you know I'm a retired K-9 cop hence my forum name, so I could have went with the obvious ones like Canine brew, Dog and Leash brew or even plain Ol' Doggone Brew. No I went a different path, I dubbed my brewery......wait for it.......

The Short Bus Brewery
(We don't know much, but we try)

I actually went to school on the short bus (no not for that reason, at least as far as any of you know :whistle: ), but because I'm from a VERY small town. My graduating class was 52, my brothers was 33!!! So the use of a full size bus would have been a waste. I knew nothing about the short bus stigma until I went into the Air Force. One day I did something particularly grand and one of the guys said, "what? Did you take the short bus to school?" and of course my reply was (very seriously) "Yes I did! How did you know?" Needless to say I lived with the short bus moniker for more time than I would have wanted! This played into the name of my brewery.
rattlesnake

Post by rattlesnake »

Everything with me is geared toward rattlesnakes but I did not want to just go "rattlesnake" so I searched and searched something clever. I found that rattlesnake do a sort of a dance when they are ready to mate...they actually stand up and wrap themselves around each other. so I went with "Dancing Rattlesnake Home Brew"

If nobody is perfect and I am a nobody, then I must be perfect.

Get your bottle cap fishing tackle here http://www.killerkapz.com
brewin bull
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewin bull »

Bullis Brewhouse

Pretty much just off my last name and had a pretty good ring to it. All of my brews are named after sharks or rays, because it was always my dream to work with them (although that has not happened).
Carcharodon Brewing
rickbray66
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by rickbray66 »

Mine is not very original. "GrayEagle" was a nickname for a character in a novel that I like very well, and created it as a screen-name several years ago. If I was to ever try to actually use it, I'd have to try and obtain rights or change names.

Rick
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Since my Black & Tan coon hound is close by my side on everything I do, I call mine "Happy Hound Brewery". I name a lot of brews after dog names and things like: ankle Biter Bock, Redbone Ale, ect.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Gizmo
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Gizmo »

I call my brews "Bad Moon Brewing" thanks to a nickname I got from my unit based on my last name and that song by CCR.
Fermenting: Dad's Lemonade (Pale Ale)
Conditioning/Drinking: Paths of Nutty(Brown), spALTered Time (German Altbier)
On Deck: Return of the Imperial (Imperial Stout)
k9dude

Post by k9dude »

Gizmo wrote:I call my brews "Bad Moon Brewing" thanks to a nickname I got from my unit based on my last name and that song by CCR.
Okay a nickname based on your unit? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've heard of your unit having a nickname, but never the other way around!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. I'm really hoping your talking about a military unit!
Gizmo
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Gizmo »

hehe, yeah military.
Fermenting: Dad's Lemonade (Pale Ale)
Conditioning/Drinking: Paths of Nutty(Brown), spALTered Time (German Altbier)
On Deck: Return of the Imperial (Imperial Stout)
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

I started out with Dumbass Brewery. Because it fit my intelligence level.

Then I switched it to Blue Earth Brewery because that's the name of the county I live in and, for some strange reason, I started to take my brewing seriously and a silly name didn't fit my level of commitment anymore.

Now, keeping it serious while giving into a little whimsey, I've changed it to One Guy's Brewery because...Well I'm one guy and I brew beer. [shrug]
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

This is not what I use, but I think it's a cool idea for a brewery name. It relates to a thread I intend to start soon, regarding brewing "personality."

For an open-minded, "wing-it," seat of the pants type of brewer: Right Brain Brewing.

For an analytical, numbers-geek, follow the recipe to the letter type of brewer: Left Brain Brewing.

So there you go -- feel free to use my idea with impunity. If someone hasn't already (I didn't check before posting).
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

Putrid Gnome Brewing Co, LLC.

why? um... can I blame it on the voices? no pic as I am at work atm.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Crazy Climber wrote:This is not what I use, but I think it's a cool idea for a brewery name. It relates to a thread I intend to start soon, regarding brewing "personality."

For an open-minded, "wing-it," seat of the pants type of brewer: Right Brain Brewing.

For an analytical, numbers-geek, follow the recipe to the letter type of brewer: Left Brain Brewing.

So there you go -- feel free to use my idea with impunity. If someone hasn't already (I didn't check before posting).

I like it! Maybe you can use both like "Mike and Ike", or "Right Twix vs Left Twix". Make some left brain beers that follow a set recipe with strict procedures and amounts. Then brew a similar style but make it a right brain beer where you just gather random ingredients that may be leftover or just picked out at random from the HBS, used in no particular fashion, just whatever you feel like throwing into the pot, and see what comes of it. You could do a Left and Right Brain IPA!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Crazy Climber wrote:For an open-minded, "wing-it," seat of the pants type of brewer: Right Brain Brewing.
Someone already beat you to it:

http://www.rightbrainbrewery.com

They just moved so I am looking forward to stopping by their new place this weekend and of course the infamous Jolly Pumpkin which is just down the hill from us, although I find myself wishing it was UP the hill to make for a better walk back.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

DaYooper wrote:
Crazy Climber wrote:For an open-minded, "wing-it," seat of the pants type of brewer: Right Brain Brewing.
Someone already beat you to it:

http://www.rightbrainbrewery.com
They are geniuses.
:idea:
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.