DIY Home Brew Controller ?

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Btech117

DIY Home Brew Controller ?

Post by Btech117 »

On the MR. Beer Forum, Jim posted a cool link on how to build your own Homebrew Controller for a Ferment Fridge. Which I did build.
(Jim if ya still have that link, maybe add it i cant remmber it / nor can i find it on the MR Beer cluster ****)

I have a question - I have the fridge obviously pluged into the cooling side of the controll box, but durring the night the temps drop down below my 20 degreese that i set the controller to, so you sugested building a paint can fermenter heater. (Again with link ?) Which I did....

Now my question is can i plug the heater into the heat side of the box and the fridge into the cool side of the box to have both of them work (obviously not at the same time) But have the heater come on when the fridge goes below 20 and the fridge come on when its warming up above 20?

I believe the controll it self is a STC-1000 (reads in C. only)

I havnt pluged it into the controller yet as i have a American Porter brewing in there and dont want the temps to go nuts while i try to figure it out. Was hoping you or some other members have had expiriance with this type of thing

(Foot note: Nevada temps where im at for yesterday 92 deg F durring the day 40 Deg F durring the night ...... = Fridge too cold at night - Perfect durring the day.)

:thanks:
LBK1 American Porter
LBK2 Empty
LBK3 Empty

Cond American Lager

Bottled: American Classic Light / Summer Seasonal
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: DIY Home Brew Controller ?

Post by RickBeer »

That's exactly the intent.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Btech117 wrote:Now my question is can i plug the heater into the heat side of the box and the fridge into the cool side of the box to have both of them work (obviously not at the same time) But have the heater come on when the fridge goes below 20 and the fridge come on when its warming up above 20?
BINGO, the controller will turn on either the fridge or heater to keep it at your F1 setting. Within the variance of what you have F2(Difference set value) set at. I think mine is set at the 0.5c default.
So set at 20 the fridge will come on if the temperature reaches 20.5 until it's back at 20. If it goes to 19.5 then the heater will turn on until it reaches 20.
Hope that helps some.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Btech117

Post by Btech117 »

Awesome Jim,

This helped me SOOO Much - Hope another newby like me can stumble upon it and get started - Temperature flux was my worst enemy for the first 3 batches until i started using this system in a fridge I got at a yard sale for 20 bucks! Cant believe how well my MR beer summer Sieason came out. Hope to move to 5 gallon buckets next ... but may need another fridge LOL
LBK1 American Porter
LBK2 Empty
LBK3 Empty

Cond American Lager

Bottled: American Classic Light / Summer Seasonal
SnakefetusBrewing

Post by SnakefetusBrewing »

Great idea on the paint can heater, Looks like I have a project this coming weekend :cool:
Beer is Good. Beers Are Better
SnakefetusBrewing

So I recently brewed up a quick batch this past tuesday, I've been a little out of the brewing loop for a little bit, and I have jumped back in.
This batch is also the first batch I get to test out my giant chest freezer turned fermentation chamber with thanks to the STC-1000. Anyway, to add heat to the inside I have a small computer lamp with a 60W regular light bulb in it. I was wondering if the light given off by the lamp being periodically on would contribute to skunking the precious beer I have inside...I am fermenting in I believe a 10 gallon plastic bucket that does not keep light out what so ever.

Thoughts / Feelings from The :borg: ?
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I think most folks put the bulb in a coffee/paint can from the posts I've seen in the past but as far as skunking that I believe is from UV rays.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

SnakefetusBrewing wrote:So I recently brewed up a quick batch this past tuesday, I've been a little out of the brewing loop for a little bit, and I have jumped back in.
This batch is also the first batch I get to test out my giant chest freezer turned fermentation chamber with thanks to the STC-1000. Anyway, to add heat to the inside I have a small computer lamp with a 60W regular light bulb in it. I was wondering if the light given off by the lamp being periodically on would contribute to skunking the precious beer I have inside...I am fermenting in I believe a 10 gallon plastic bucket that does not keep light out what so ever.

Thoughts / Feelings from The :borg: ?

Just scroll up and build the paint can heater (fermentation heater) uses the bulb w/out uv being able to skunk the beer

Edgar Allan Poe
SnakefetusBrewing

I will be making the paint can heater in the near future, was just wondering about the possible effects on the current beer I am making. Time will Tell :)
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

imo, i'd put a towel over the beer to block light. (it can't hurt)

Edgar Allan Poe
nighthawk

Post by nighthawk »

How are you guys measuring the temperature for the controller? Are you taping the probe to the side? Do you have it immersed in a bottle of water that's in contact with the fermenter? I've been using a cheap room thermometer with a wireless probe next to the fermenter, but I found out that when it read 71F, the actual wort temp I measured with a thermometer was closer to 81F. Has anyone done direct wort temp measurement with a wired/wireless probe? I'm thinking about modifying my LBC to accept the wired probe on my temp controller. Any input would be helpful.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy-Benjamin Franklin
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I've read that people tape it to the side of the fermenter, below the liquid line, and then cover it with a facecloth folded over to insulate the reading from the outside air.

It's also imperative that you're using the system as it's intended, to control the temperature of the wort. Therefore, many put wort in and let it sit for 24 hours to come to temperature, then attach a probe, so you're not getting wide temperature swings. It's not intended to lower 80 degree wort to 65, you start with mid 60s wort and keep it there.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

A plain old light will not hurt the beer as it does not produce light in the UV skunking bandwidth. What the paint can does is help not waste the light by having a metal surface to absorb and radiate the heat. Or so SWMBO doesnt wonder what that shiny light is and keep turning it off to "safe electricity."
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

[quote="RickBeer"]I've read that people tape it to the side of the fermenter, below the liquid line, and then cover it with a facecloth folded over to insulate the reading from the outside air.

this is what I do, using paper towel. let the stc control the wort temp instead of the air temp.

Edgar Allan Poe