Mr Beer Powerful Patriot Ale

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MattKnox

Mr Beer Powerful Patriot Ale

Post by MattKnox »

I posted this in the basic recipe too but was told to post here to see if I can get some help...

This is one that definitely caught my eye. Its Patriot Lager and Classic American light mixed together. Now I'm no genius but it seems that it is supposed to be Sam Adams and Coors light lol Well at first it was the name that caught me because I am a patriot plus I have been in the military for 11 years , but honestly it just seems like this might be a good strong beer.

I would love to make this but I absolutely enjoy steeping and boiling my hops and stuff like that. So, do you all have any idea what a partial mash recipe might look like for this? I still want to keep a mr beer size, but I would like to do extract/partial mash. Thanks guys
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Mr Beer Powerful Patriot Ale

Post by Brewbirds »

I haven't used either of those MB HMEs so are they true lagers or are they using an ale yeast? Both commercial beers you mention are lagers. Are you able to do a lager?

Deconstructing a MB HME probably won't be easy. I guess you could brew each one as is and see if you can pick out flavor profiles of what grains they might have but the POR hops are pretty strong. The Coors is probably just pilsner malt, some adjunct and a bittering extract. You could look for a Sam Adams clone recipe on the internet to get an idea of what is in that or maybe there is a clone kit you can buy as a PM.
Sibling Brewers
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Interesting I have this in the bottle right now waiting for it to condition. I usually make a Patriot 'Lager' (really Ale) and throw in a Booster and a Pale LME pack. That turns out wonderful, but I call it Patriot Ale, cause I can't do lagers. I'm hoping this will be good, but might be too bitter because the IBU will be in the 30's, but might be ok, given the Patriot is a little more brown than light. We'll see.

No idea about how to replicate tho.

Monty
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

I can't help you with figuring out a grain bill. But I can tell you that the Mr. Beer Patriot Lager is not anything like Sam Adams (or at least none that I've had). The Classic American Light is not far from a Coors, though.
MattKnox

Post by MattKnox »

Thanks guys. I figured it wasn't going to be to easy. I will give it a try as is though. Just seems like it will be good. I have actually only brewed 1 Mr. Beer recipe as is. Then I got into steeping and even partial mashes. I will see if I like how Mr. Beer does this and try to pick out what I can.

Monty you will definitely have to let me know what you think of it
MattKnox

Post by MattKnox »

Man I gotta say that I am really enjoying this one. Turned out great. I will continue to try a partial mash or something but I definitely am no beer connoisseur. Gonna take one to my lhbs and see if they can help in any way. Or just might take a shot in the dark on this and see what happens
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Glad to hear it. You are happy with it's current conditioning? I ask because the couple of Mr. Beer recipes on their site that use 2 cans of HME state 3-6 months conditioning. I made one 2 months ago, the agony of waiting...
MattKnox

Post by MattKnox »

Yea its pretty good. I let it sit for 3 to 4 weeks instead of the 2-2-2. It definitely has good carb, its smooth, and has a nice after taste.