Carabrown Malt

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Fishybrewer

Carabrown Malt

Post by Fishybrewer »

Hi. My LBHS just started carrying carabrown malt but did not no much about it. I researched it at Briess but I was wondering if anyone had ever used it or had any experience with it. Thanks, David :fedora: Go Pats!
philm00x

Re: Carabrown Malt

Post by philm00x »

I know this is almost 2 months since you posted this, but I recently heard some folks on a FB group I post on talking about this for a stout. I found this from Northern Brewer:
Northern Brewer wrote:Carabrown® Malt was developed on the light side of the brown malt style in order to retain some residual sweetness while still delivering an assortment of lightly toasted flavors. Carabrown® Malt can be used in a wide variety of beer styles and is especially good in brown ales, porters and stouts. Use in bitter, pale, mild and Belgian Ales, wheat beers, bock, Oktoberfest, and Scotch Ales for flavor, complexity and color.
I really really like how my current recipe for Mr. Rufus Chocolate Brown Ale is, but I wonder how the flavor would change adding/substituting Carabrown into it. If you ever use this malt, let me know how it works out in your beer!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Fishybrewer

Post by Fishybrewer »

I used a pound in a brown ale that will be ready next week and I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the reply. David
Fishybrewer

Post by Fishybrewer »

Brought some Victory Brown Ale to work yesterday that contained 1 Pd of Carabrown Malt and it was extremely well liked. The Carabrown gives a nice toastiness with no astringency, a nice smoothness to it. I especially liked the color, its clarity, kind of a golden brown. Definitely well liked. Cheers
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Glad to hear it! Might have to try some in another batch of brown ale in the future.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra